Need an opinion!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by Rottdog, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Rottdog

Rottdog New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hello everyone, I have been bowhunting as long as I can remember and I have been involved with archery since I was big enough to hold up a bow. I bought a new bow back in 1995 and really thought that would be the last bow I would ever buy. Well after getting out of the military and becoming involved again in Bowhunting and 3-D tournaments, I have quickly discovered that I am well behind the curve on all the technological aspects of the modern compound bow. So my question to you all is this:
    I have been looking alot at three different bows and would love to hear any feedback you all could offer before I make the decision to purchase a new bow. The three bows are as follows:
    Hoyt Vectrex
    Matthews Drenalin
    Bowtech Tribute
    Thank you to all who respond to this post, I really appreciate the feedback especially since this is such a big investment monetarily.
    Garrett

2. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Good luck with that. I'm a stick bow shooter so I can't help much. They are all good bows.

3. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    You wil find that technology keeps rolling especially in the archery field. Personally I am a Hoyt guy. My Partner shoots a bowtech Liberty. My bow is about seven years old, it's a Deviator. I will say this there is a certain point where more speed is no longer necessary. Ther is a point where more poundage is no longer necessary. I hunted my first twelve seasons with a PSE. I had the same experience as you, the other shooters were calling it a UPS because it took the arrow so long to get there. The fact of the matter is if you can't shoot it it doesn't matter what you carry. Get a bow that feels good to you and fits you well. Work on your form. You will find that if you can shoot the bow you have, and you know your effective kill range, it matters very little what the name on your bow is. Go to many archery shops. Shoot every bow line they carry. If they won't set them up for you, go to another shop. Find the bow that feels right and go with it.

4. whiskerlover

whiskerlover New Member

State:
    St. joseph Missouri
    I shoot a Hoyt that is 15 yrs old. Personaly, I dont like to change just for the sake of change. My buddies are always telling me to buy a new bow, but mine shoots just fine and still kills so its fine with me.

5. Snake Charmer

Snake Charmer New Member

State:
    Ca/Nv/Az
    Been to the Bowtech factory/shop/range and was Very Impressed!!:big_smile: Sure can't go wrong with them!-- I've been shooting the Martin bows forever---There tack drivers also!! :big_smile:

6. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    If your shop lets you. ask to try a few shots with them all to see what feels better for you. which has better balance, less hand jump & noise. If he has a small indoor range & at the prices of bows now adays, he shouldnt have a problem with letting you test them if your genuinely serious about purchasing one.

7. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've owned a lot of bows over the years and have had good luck from all.
    The most important thing I have found is find a good archery shop (the people know their stuff and stand behind whatever brand they sell) and then try/shoot all the bows you can. With a bow it is so important to get one that just feels natural, just like a good shotgun.
    Best of luck, those things are mucho $$$$ these days.

8. Bullseye017

Bullseye017 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I bought a Mathews Switchback XT last Augest and absolutely love it. It is extremely accurate and very very smooth. Havnt shot any of those bows, but If I were you I would go out and shoot all three bows and see which one you like the most

9. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    LIke everyone has said shoot what one feels best. I am a mathews guy i have the switchback LD because i have a long draw. All those bows you Talked about are great bows. Youll just have find which one fits you best. Which everyone you get will last you awhile. Hope this helps Shawn

10. jlcclh

jlcclh New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Huge Bowtech fan here! I would try shooting all of them though, and see which one feels the best for you. Good Luck:cool2:

11. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    try out all the name brands, find one that u like, then buy it on ebay.
    my buddy baught brand new in box never shot mathews switch back for 250. it was his draw length and everything.
    there are alot of folks that try shooting a bow and realize that it is harder than it looks

12. Rottdog

Rottdog New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well I made my decision, Dad and I both are Proud owners of the BowTech Tribute. We both ordered one Friday. The Shop said it would take a few weeks before we got em, Because we ordered the Gray hardwoods finish. So just wanted to say Thank You to all the Brothers here that offered up their opinions in this thread.

Garrett

13. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Though I haven't shot the Tribute you bought yourself a fine product. Many years of satisfaction ahead. Do yourself and your game a service and learn to shoot that thing. Form, Form, Form........ be the top of the food chain.

14. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    Congrats you picked a real nice bow. I havent shot it either but from what i hear it is real nice shooting bow. Hope you enjoy:cool2:

15. Grizdog

Grizdog New Member

State:
    SC
    I think there are many good ones out there. Buy one from the archery shop where the owner has a lot of experience, and seems most willing to help set it up. A good shop owner will try to match the right bow with your needs, instead of trying to just sell the most expensive one.

Sometimes shops will have a range outside where you might be able to ask one of the folks shooting what they think. If they are shooting the bows the owner sells, and have good things to say, its a good reference.

16. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    As you can see from the hat I am wearing in my avatar, I am a huge hoyt fan! I have a hoyt Trykon and love it. They are hard to beat for the money. My next choice would be a bowtech. I'm just not much on the Mathews.

17. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Hey, man!! I think you should try all kinds of bows. Don't go by the price tags because that don't necessarily mean that bow is the best for you. I used to go to practice range shoot around my home. Most of them would buy these expensive bows and couldn't shoot them a lick. I would beat them with a used $100 bow. So just shop around and don't make an expensive mistake. That is just my opinion! Good luck to you with choosing your new bow and with hunting this year!!!!