Need an opinion

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Wabash River Bear, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I got a Dick's Sporting Goods gift card for X-mas this year. I went over there this weekend and did a lil shoppin for a catfish rig ( my first single purpose rig ), anyway the selection was terrible. They cater to the golfer, tennis player, fitness guru, hiker, ect. ect.
    I bought a 7' Shakespeare Uglystick Catfish pole ( med.-hvy. action, 15-30 lb. line, model # ucca110170 ) and for lack of anything bigger or stouter at this establishment, a Zebco 808 magnum reel filled with 25# mono.
    My questions are, can I spool any heavier line onto the 808, if so what would be best ? Will the combo make a decent first catfish rig ? Will the reel last any time at all ?
    I know most of you guys use the Penn's and Abu's, but I'm not real good with a baitcaster so I would probably go with a spinnin reel, and arent in a position to spend that kind of money yet. Let me know what ya think.

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Barry,
    This just my opinion and I know some folks love them but I wouldn't use a spincast reel as a paperweight.
    The rod is a good choice but if you want to avoid baitcasters go with a spinning reel. Wal-Mart do a spinning reel, I think it's a Shakespeare, it's called a Striper/Catfish reel I think. I would take that any day over a spincast...W

3. kccatman76

kccatman76 New Member

State:
    kansas
    walmart also sales a quantum reel for 24.99 cant beat for the price

4. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    Barry Thanks for the warrning.
    A member in my church gave me a gift card from Dicks and havent used it yet.....And i'm not a golfer either.So I'll probably do like you get a catfish rod.If they have them.Winston had a teriffic idea about the reel.I have used that reel and its pulled some good ones for me on the Barkley lake.
    Thanks
    bill smith

5. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Even 25 lb is a bit heavy for an 808. Its heavy enough line for 90% of catfishing most do. If that model of rod is a baitcasting model, it won't work well with a spinning reel. A spinner needs the big line guide near the reel to help spiral the line out of the spinning reel. As for not being good with a baitcaster, neither was I until a bit over a year ago when I bought my first. I'd always used spinning or fly gear. At first, I couldn't get the overhand cast down, so sidearmed it. After figuring out the right amount of brake control for the weights I was tossing and how to thumb the bait caster, I got ok with the sidearm cast. After a week or two, I found myself casting overhand without realizing it. I'm 57, so I didn't learn young.

6. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Can anyone recomend an entry level, user friendly baitcaster for catfishing to replace the 808 ? I have used a baitcaster for bass fishing without much luck, but am willing to give it another try.

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Barry, a friend of mine has been using the same 808 on an Ugly Catfish stick now for about a year. He does well with it. Take care of it, oil it, and let the rod do the work and it should last for a while.

8. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    here I have alot spinning reels, I put berkley gorilla #35lb test on spinning reels.. It's still going cast as far! I have four quantum spinning reels, I bought them like 25 dollar at Walmart and other fishing store. I have few abu garica baitcaster but I like both spinning and baitcasting...

9. CaTmAnDo55

CaTmAnDo55 New Member

State:
    florence, SC
    i use a shakespear supra spinning reel and rod combo for $23 at wal-mart i actually have 3 of them and i keep 50lb cajun red fishing line that combo pulled in a 55lb flathead and quite a few in the 5-25lb range and to me its what works the best for you

10. ohiocatman62

ohiocatman62 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Barry, your rod is a nice choice I have 6 7ft Bass pro power plus rods line rating 10-20 I caught a 41 lb and 6 or 8 30's and few dozen 20's with no problems I have 4 Abu 6500 3c reels and 2 Abu 6000 with 30 lb test big game line have used them for 7 years with no problems. hope this helps. Rick

11. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    A Abu 6000 is a good start baitcaster.

12. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I used to fish with a guy who would only use spinncast reels and he did ok! as long as you dont crank the drag all the way down and try to horse in bigger fish it should last longer let the rod work. if you want a baitcaster dicks here carries a larger selection at some stores its possable that they might get you what you want as long as they carry it in their stores. baitcasters seem to calm down with bigger sinkers that most catters use.

13. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
  14. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I think that it was about a year ago that I checked with Zebco about using braided line on their spin cast reels #33's,#808's,and 888's.They said it was OK to use and worked fine but it would cause the spinner head to wear out quicker.I think that is pretty much the case with every manufacture I have talked to.No matter how it is made,braid will cause more wear and stress on a reel than mono.More stress is caused by the lack of stretch in the braid,as the stretch in mono. acts like a shock absorber.You could get 2-2 1/2 times more 30 lb.braid than mono on that reel.I love you Brothers and Sisters,peewee

15. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hello, fellow Hoosier! Let me say I love my 2006 Zebco 808 Magnum and love even more my 2006 Zebco Prostaff 888. The 20# flatty in my pic. was caught on the 808 with 6'6" Ugly Stik and 20# Big game line. Like HansRienhardt said, once you learn to let the rod and drag do the work and not try to crank in a 20 lbs fish like it's a race with a winch; you'll be fine. With spincast reels people either love 'em or hate 'em. I think the ones that hate 'em expect to much from them, they're not winches. People regularly catch 20-50 lbs fish with them with no problems. Trust me you'll be much happier fishing with what YOU'RE comfortable with than what someone else tells you you SHOULD be useing. For $30 it's a great, well built , smooth reel, that will last a life time of fishing if used properly and oiled regularly.And if you loose it , break it, drop it over board, etc. it was only $30; not $60- $100. People laugh at my Zebco's but I'm catching fish when there picking out birds nest. :tounge_out:

16. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Great information everyone.The BOC rules.Thanks.:cool2:

17. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    use it if u want to. my great grandmother would only use those big spincasters for yella cats. And she caught some big ones
    I personally dont like them because i dont feel in controll of all the mechanics. That is why i use a simple baitcaster(abu 6500)

18. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    The man done said it all!!!I am presently learning to bait cast using a Short beautiful "Gator"made Rod custom made for use with a "Seedtick"vintage Daiwa Millionaire #4 bait casting reel made in Japan.The outfit is designed for this old cripple to catch Channel Catfish small enough for me to handle.So far,I am getting 15-30 feet on a cast.Now this is only on the days everything is working right.Other times,I will fall back on my "Benji"whuppin Stick with under spin spin casters,regular spin casting,huge offshore spinning reels that I can operate by sight, or at worst,the sheer joy of watching others fish.You ride by a old cripple out fishing on the lawn in South Georgia,he might not be as crazy as he looks.He may be scheming.I get the chance to go,I am going to be as ready as I can.I practice every chance that I get.Even when healthy and at my best,spin cast had it's place with my gear and I used it for certain types of fishing.For skidding a lure underhanded with a short "ice fishing rod pointed at the water,while I am sitting down",I have found no equals.I could ease along in a paddle boat or canoe with my little one handed paddle and skip a bait under brush and vegetation that hung within 2'' of the water.I have fished many places others could not with this combo.I have found the 808 & 888's to be great saltwater reels for the 6 lb.and under fish.Over that and you may have to chase them in a boat.The great thing is if you have your drag properly set,a 500 to a 1000+ lb.fish or even a passing yacht can spool you with no damage except lost line.Yes,I meant to say 500 to 1000+ lbs.as this can happen wherever you fish saltwater due to large sharks occasionally feeding on your catch in even shallow water.I have often used them for 3 to 6 days and up to 2 weeks at the time in saltwater without cleaning or rinsing while camping on vacation and such on coastal Islands.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

19. MaysvilleCatfish

MaysvilleCatfish New Member

State:
    kentucky
    the best spincast reels on the market are no match for a big cat.for the money,i think quantum makes the best catfish/spinning reel youll find.good luck no the water.

20. sharkn1979

sharkn1979 New Member

State:
    georgia
    for the price a shakespere tidewater 30 would probably be my choice you can pick them up at walmart for about 30 to 40 dollars, another choice would be a penn reel you can pick them up on ebay almost for nothing sometimes i have five that i have picked up for under fifteen dollars.