Need an inexpensive boat top? Don't laugh...

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Bill in SC, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    The sun is already starting to make the river tough during the day. Us country boys have to make do with what we have available. The umbrella fits (with an insert) right in the hole for the seat. Sure beats the price of a bimini, and you don't have all those braces that hold a bimini up to contend with when fishin'.
    Bill in SC

Attached Files:

2. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Ok Bill I can't say I didn't laugh but they say there is a little redneck in all of us:smile2:. But it is a way to save money and everyone will know who you are on the water.:smile2:

3. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    I've seen a few of those over the years. Here's the one we used to use.

Attached Files:

4. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Howz that work out in a stiff breeze?

5. PeeDee Cat

PeeDee Cat Member

State:
    SC
    Good idea. A man has to do what man has to do.

PEEDEE CAT

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <Howz that work out in a stiff breeze?>

This is one of those mesh umbrellas that lets air flow through it. If the breeze gets too stiff, I'll just roll it up and set it on the floor of the boat. If a good breeze is blowing, I don't usually need an umbrella anyhow. Enough of this foolish typing when I could be on the river giving it a test run!! :)
    BB in SC

7. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Nothing to laugh about. A fisherperson has to do what they gotta do out on that water. Last 2 yrs when we was fishing in a tourn from 6 am till 2:00 pm in July and Aug your real happy to have something like that.

8. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I aint laughin I am gettin ready to do the same:wink:
    There aint no other way like the red neck way!:wink:

9. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I've got a little umbrella that clips to a chair, and as goofy as it probably looks, there are times it makes the difference between fishing and not fishing. I've sat below one of the local spillways fishing for hours in 100+ heat, while anybody else who showed up was gone within 30 minutes. One of the best $6.97 I ever spent.

Here is an idea for an inexpensive winter boat cabin :smile2::

Attached Files:

10. Spurhunter

Spurhunter New Member

State:
    TN
    I really like that bracket you made! Very cool, cept I would have use a camo umbrella:smile2:

11. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Hey Bill, I would'nt laugh....been doing that too for years. Works great and a guy can find em cheap at garage sales and thrift stores.
    Stores easy and just takes a rope for those real windy times.:smile2:

With the right rod holder make shift it articulates where its needed...

Far as looks...who cares when your there to catch fish!

12. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I've been doing that for a couple of years also. I found one that knuckles in the middle, so it can be adjusted as needed. The wife was a little P.O. ed when she found out where her umbrella went, but when she realized the results after being in the sun a while it was OK. All it cost me was a new patio set. LOL Later Andy

13. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    The test run today was nothing less than EXCELLENT! Just cozy as a cucumber, even though the sun was blazing. Caught 5 fish, lost about 5. There WAS a stiff breeze at times, and the umbrella did try and move the boat some, but I compensated by turning the rudder against the current. I need a rear anchor to be 10/8 and straight in stiff breezes..
    Bill in SC

14. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    That looks like a fine idea there, nothing wrong with making good with the things that you have, plus another good thing is im sure it works good about keeping the sun off of you, thank you for sharing the pictures with us, and good luck.

15. CatFishMick

CatFishMick New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Sure wish I had it this weekend after getting sunburnt like a tomato.

Might be redneck but it'll keep ya from getting a red neck. :wink:

16. Kenk

Kenk New Member

State:
    W.V
    We all may need one to get around if the gas prices keep climbing. You could also drill some large holes(1.5") in the bottom a a 5 gallon bucket tie it off of the back of the boat and it will keep you pulled straight. Just make a rope handle for it as the metal ones tend to pull out

17. slowboat

slowboat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Goda love them rednecks:big_smile:...sb

18. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    We tried the bucket with holes in it last weekend. Worked very well to keep the boat from swaying. Kinda like the tail of a kite.
    BB in SC