Need an explanation, if possible...

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by AwShucks, Jan 10, 2008.

1. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    thought I posted this question a few hours ago, but can't find it anywhere. May be my old himers kicking in... at any rate... here is the background...

Kaw Lake generally runs from the North to the South, with the dam on the southern end. The dam has 6 gates, and when I was there today, all the gates were closed. The water in the tail race looked normal until you looked closer. Normally the water flows from the dam in a down stream direction. The water in the river was flowing towards the dam on the west side, and from the dam on the east side. Those of you familiar with the tail race knows there are rocks at the end of the pool where the water is released. The water was running over these rocks in both directions like white water, or rapids. I know it wasn't the wind, as the wind was from the north, and the tailrace is protected by the dam. What would make the water on one side of a river flow uphill (if you will) and down hill on the other side of the river? Anyone have a theory?

2. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    It's them big 200 plus pound fish swimming upsteam and making waves.:big_smile: at least that's what I'd like to think. I don't have clue to explain it really...maybe that old timers kicking in like you thought.

3. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Lawrence

I don't know know why it does that at Kaw dam, but you are not the first person I have heard mention of that happening. From what I understand, if you locate the area where the water starts moving back towards the dam, and toss your bait into that area, you are likely to pick up a cat, hybird, or a nice sized striper.

4. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    AWSHUCKS - You been hittin the shine again?? I think you been taken a wee bit too much of a nip of that shad tonic agaaaaiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnn:wink: Yo Momma tode u this wood hapin. u seein things an all.:big_smile:

catman

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Now dadgum it George. I haven't had a drop to drink since the last Keystone, and then it was a way too many drops. LOL. Sure glad I don't do that often. FuzzFace and I set there for about 5 minutes watching that current. Sure was strange.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Don't know about that particular situation, but most dams on the Arkansas have a concrete apron below the spillway; what many don't know that at the end of the concrete, there's a 'toe' that sticks up, causing a boil and forcing the water back toward the dam. Why? Without this 'toe', the water current can curl down at the end of the concrete apron, washing out underneath it. Next thing you know, part of the apron has broken off, and the process starts all over, till there's no more apron left. Then the current starts eating away underneath the dam. Maybe there's some kind of setup like this where you're talking about.

7. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Do you think the generator was on? Usually when they arent running anything those rocks are far from underwater. hmm? That is weird. Ive fished there my whole life and tied up to the cable a hundred times and never noticed anything like that while they werent running water.I havent fished it a whole lot since my Dad passed away. You might have known him. His name was Clayton. I hope to fish there more often this year, puttin a new floor in the boat. By the way have they put the cable back up yet?

8. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Sounds like everyone up stream flushed the toilet at the same time, or you need to read the label on the cough medicine a little closer on the dosage, LMAO!

Seriously, I haven't got a clue. I know last year with all the rain coming in, it was common at ft gibson dam to see the water moving upstream when the gates and turbins were off and the water was coming in stronger from downstream than it was from upstream.

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Sounds like a bad place place to fall in.:eek:oooh:

10. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    AweShucks has a Question!:eek:oooh:

Kinda sounds like Lawrence has either been down here in Arkansas stealing from a Hillbilly still or he has been hitting up on some Kentucky Whiskey( the kind that makes you love twinkies and wear pink tutu's).

But, if my opinion counts, i would have to agree with Jerry trew's theory. That's about the best explanation i can come up with!:smile2:

11. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    i know our truman dam has ran the generators backwards before causing same thing to happen. thats my only guese. when they did that back in the 80s they killed thousands of fish also :angry: they did it one night again this year we had a lot of rain and washed alot of dead floating trees into the lake when they had the dam gates open all spring it pulled all the logs to the dam it was like 15 acres of dead trees behind against the dam they finally got the lake to close to normal pool and a friend of ours was fishing one night and he said the river droped like 2 feet in a very short time next day he seen the logs where not against the dam any more.

12. papasfishing

papasfishing New Member

State:
    cleveland,oklahoma
    roll them a little smaller and it should all make since...

13. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    One possible explanation I'm surprised I haven't heard yet, it this:

There was a break in space/time creating a black hole that was such an energy force it changed current direction and pulled everything into it.

Very surprised someone hasn't brought that up yet...:wink:

14. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    That makes the most sence of all, LOL!

15. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Kinda doubt the toe theory, as the rock area is about 200 to 250 yards below the dam. And I have seen it before when the gates were closed, and those rocks were out of the water probably two or three feet. I asked FuzzFace this morning if I saw it correctly and he said thats what he saw also. And Fuzzy just don't drink. Much. LOL. Maybe I've just had too much of Patricia and Lesley and I'm punch drunk. ROTFLMAO