Need advise

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by mikeskywalker, Aug 6, 2008.

1. mikeskywalker

mikeskywalker New Member

State:
    IOWA
    Ok guy's i'll be in sevierville a week from today should i bring a rod and if so where close is there for me to catch a big ol cat ?????????

2. Knoxcats

Knoxcats New Member

State:
    Knoxville, TN
    The answer is YES...bring a rod. The closest place to Sevierville to catch some quality catfish is the Douglas Dam tailwater / French Broad River. There was a period of time the French Broad river held the state record cat.

The tailwater has some excellent access points from the bank. You'll need heavy gear if you want to fish right at the dam while they are generating. 5 ounces of lead is a minimum to keep your bait down. Less will work downriver...again a very nice walkway and access above the campground.

Try to catch some shad or skipjack. The shad can often be found running up the rip-rap just before the retaining wall at the powerhouse. Skippies can be caught in running water with a pair of white flies. If all else fails, their is a little canteen store run by the state that sells bait, including shad.

Running water will not be a problem....TVA starts lowering the lakes August 1, so you'll have plenty of current.

Good luck...and don't forget to buy a license.

David
    Knoxville TN