NEED ADVISE: what call to use

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by scooter079, Oct 1, 2009.

1. scooter079

scooter079 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I have been using MAD calls buck growl and grunt snort weez calls for the past two years my options are buying the doe heat bleat they make and carrying all three calls or buying a good all in one call so what is everyones advise and what to you use i was leaning towards the flextone bone colector all in one call

2. 6pointer0075

6pointer0075 New Member

State:
    tn
    yeah the new bone collector is pretty nice but you just cant beat the sound of mad calls. i growled at some little bucks this past weekend and that was the fasted ive ever seen any deer run to me lol. i also use the primos estrus calls. they seem to work pretty good. sometimes its just not best to put all your eggs in one basket such as an all in one call. just not the same. but good luck

3. 6pointer0075

6pointer0075 New Member

State:
    tn
    o yeah mean to say i also have the heat bleat and i dont like it. lets just say you have to be pretty good at it and watch the instructional dvds that come with it like a hundrer times. just doesnt sound the same for me but might for u

4. scooter079

scooter079 New Member

State:
    ohio
    well and also what about those primos bleat cans

5. net man

net man New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    i love the can. get the long can works great

6. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The Buck roar is by far the best call i have used. Just for one simple fact of its loudness. You can grunt at a deer 300 yards away with this thing without distorting the sound. And its got the snort weez on it as well. Great call to have.

7. perrycounty.in

perrycounty.in New Member

State:
    Indiana

Right on brother, the primos Buck Roar is far and away the best grunt call on the market, ive killed alot of bucks by turning them my way with a grunt call. Like you said, Ive turned bucks my way from over 300 yards away and once the commit to this call you can softin it up too. I won't go to the woods without it. Good call SGT. I don't care if this call sold for $50 I would bye it.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  8. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    Quaker Boy makes some excellent calls too. I snort and snort/wheeze with my own voice. Quaker boy "Pipe" is a great call for does and fawns and later in the rut bucks will come into it too. No matter the weapon season or season of the year I rarely go deer hunting without at least one "pipe" with me.

9. seokfisherman

seokfisherman Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I own the Primos buck roar and rubberneck, a Knight and Hale grunt tube, and plan to buy the Primos hardwood grunter. Since calls sound different, utilizing a couple of different calls can make you sound like more than one deer. I use two different grunt tubes when I'm rattling to sound like two bucks. Plus deer are probably like turkeys. You can call to a tom turkey with one call and not get a response, try another call and he won't stop talking back to you every time you call to him with that other call. Plus you can never own too much hunting or fishing gear!

10. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    ]
    I think this is my husband's motto!!:smile2:
    I'm glad to hear all the input; and the Primo's Buckroar seems to be the favored call. I saw a mention of the Bone Collector call; has anyone tried it, or heard it? Just checking.
    Also, do you guys call loudly at first?; I'm never sure just how much sound to put out there.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  11. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    I usually start low and build up depending on the time of the year with grunt/bucks calls. With doe bleats/fawn in distress calls I call softly the first time and 5-10minutes later really get into it.

12. seokfisherman

seokfisherman Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Early season I may throw out some soft bleats or a few light grunts and if I rattle it's real light like two bucks playing. Later in the season I start off light and then increase the volume and really start beating limbs and kicking leaves around. It is supposed to sound like a fight after all!

13. badboy19379

badboy19379 New Member

State:
    Denver, Indiana
    i read a short article on cackle grunting a cple yrs ago, and decided to put it to use. i was using a primo all in one, in heavily hunted grounds. i sat in my blind seen 3 people, so decided to take a walk and sat on a log to cackle i was there literly 2 minutes and a 7 point buck came running straight at me might be something worth tring if you already havent

14. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I rarely use any call until I see a deer and need to bring it closer or stop it's movement. Scouting works far better than calling. Know where the deer will be and get there first. Calling educates deer very quickly and just makes them that much harder to get close to. Deer calls are not made for the deer hunter, they are made for the call companies bottom line.....period.

Look back at the Market Hunters. They just about killed ALL the deer in the country without the use of calls, cover scents or attractant scents. Developing good hunting skills will do far more than any of the gimmics for sale these days. JMHO

15. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I use a primo bleet can and the MAD growler. they both work great for me

16. seokfisherman

seokfisherman Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The old men at deer camp used to make fun of my deer calling too. Scouting is something I'm always doing but no matter how much you scout, sometimes the deer just don't cooperate. Weather patterns, other hunters activities, and numerous other factors can make hunting difficult. Sometimes the prospect of calling just helps a person psychologically to keep going because he thinks he may make something happen. I guess I'm still new to hunting, only been at it for about 16 years. Still learning from mother nature. Yes, sometimes I spook deer. But I don't know how many times I have turned a buck around with a grunt call or made one mad enough to pop out of the thick stuff rubbing trees and looking for the intruder. Maybe it's coincidence after a rattling sequence a buck runs in looking around. I don't guess I am familiar with the market hunters. If they were anything like the buffalo hunters then that's not a fair comparison. If I wanted to just kill deer that would be easy. No call needed. Been hunting five times this bow season and could have killed over twenty if I was using a gun and "market hunting". But I want my two year old son to be able to hunt deer when he gets older.

17. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    I've called my fair share, also. I called in three last year alone. The thing is, I'm the only one hunting the area and I use calls sparingly. I am also VERY careful about not leaving scent behind. On other places I've hunted, there are too many people using calls, so they have no effect at all except for the yearlings. The older deer seem to learn very quickly to associate calls with humans. There is no doubt that calls can work, as does rattling, but I believe they tend to be over used these days.

As for the market hunters; they are the main reason that we have seasons and limits now. In the first half of the last century, venison was sold publicly. Market hunters went into the woods for weeks at a time, (with no baths, no scents, no calls, no range finders, no scent suits, no tree stands), yet they managed to kill off almost every deer in most states. (All the deer in Georgia came from captured deer in Mich. and Wisconsin.) They did it by learning to read sign, learning what motivates deer, learning patience, and by staying down wind of their game. A lot of hunters these days are looking for an easy way to kill deer. Some never really learn to scout and hunt properly.

A guy I used to hunt with went 20 years before killing his first deer with a bow, even though he helped me drag out deer after deer, buck after buck, and hunted the same areas as me for 18 years. He relied on high dollar equipment, the newest sights, the newest scents, the newest calls, $600 bows, etc., but he never learned to scout, never worried about his leather boots leaving scent behind, hunted the same stands day after day, and felt like he had to shoot at every deer he saw. To this day, the biggest deer he has ever killed is a 4 pointer. During that same time period, I took my limit every year, for 29 years with my recurve bow, including 5 Pope & Young bucks. 130 deer have fallen to my $12 bow. He always called it luck! I think it has more to do with learning how to hunt!

Calls have their place, but they are not a substitute for scouting skills.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  18. seokfisherman

seokfisherman Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Willie I agree with you that calls can be over used. I learned when turkey hunting to use different calls because sometimes a tom wouldn't respond to a mouth call because everyone was using one. Break out a slate or even the old box call and they would gobble their heads off. Multiple people running around making the same sounds all day in the same area is not good. I was fortunate enough to grow up hunting on 4,000 acres in which there was a limited amount of people hunting and only a few of us even tried calling deer. Now I only have 160 acres to hunt but I am the only one hunting it. You're also right that you can't buy hunting ability. I see it as a welcomed challenge trying to put the pieces of the puzzle together. I spend a lot of time walking the area instead of riding a four wheeler all over the place. I own a four wheeler, and it is a great tool. I use it to get me near my area due to the fact that it is about a mile back in the woods up and down steep rocky hills. I still walk to my stand. Over the years I have killed several deer walking to my stand. Actually I have killed more deer from the ground than I ever have from a tree stand and most of them while I was sneaking through the woods.

19. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Yea, I think calls and scents work best when used in an area that doesn't get much hunting pressure. I live near 2.5 million acres of National Forest. I've never had much luck with calls there. Once muzzle loader season starts the woods are full of people calling all day long. It only takes a buck one episode of coming to a call, and finding a hunter, to educate him. After that, a call is usually useless on that deer.

20. perrycounty.in

perrycounty.in New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I see thats your opion, but ive killed many of mature bucks that i otherwise wouldn't have killed without my grunt calls. Scouting is a good way to learn the deer and there patterens. I beg to differ on callin grunt calls a gimmic. And with sent blocker or scent lock suits you see many more deer that otherwise would have detected you before you seen them.
    I spend hundreds of days in the woods each year and i know that scent controll and grunt calls can only increase the odds in your favor. Granted there are some gimmics out there that i wouldn't touch but these 2 factors lead to more incounters with more mature bucks period. I do agree that if over used they can be very educating to deer. But callin them " not made for the deer hunter and only for the call companies" i strongly disagree with.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009