Need advise about Flathead catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Catfish Shawn, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Catfish Shawn

Catfish Shawn New Member

State:
    Carbondale, Kansas
    Ok I have caught a few 1lb flats but I want to go for a big 30 - 40 Flathead. I want to do it on rod and reel. I have been catfishing since I was 8 and have caught some really big cats but not big flats. Would it be possible to land one at Osage or do I have to go to a bigger lake or river? All help is appreciated.

2. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    By all accounts one of the best spots in Kansas to go for a big flathead
    is the Kansas River (or the Kaw as some call it). The fishery biologists
    recently said that the highest concentration of flatheads is just above
    or upstream of Bowersock Dam near Lawrence. That's not far from
    Carbondale, is it? Really anyplace along the Kansas River is good but
    I'm a little hesitant to eat one caught downstream of Dow Chemical.

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like some good flathead waters. I would advice you to river fish as opposed to lakes as it is easier to target the big ones.

4. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Wish I could help you on flat at Osage I have tried several time and had no luck I know they are there but geting them is the key. Seems so much harder in the lakes, I never have problems on the Creeks and Rivers catching some even if hey are little.

5. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    right now if you want to catch flaties look for structure stay close to structure and remember structure
    :wink:

have lively bait if your bait is not moving its not doing you no good

and fish places that have structure

because of the spawn and summer heat they are going to be dug in for the past 3 weeks everything we have caught guess what it was in structure :wink:

hope this helps you in your flathead hunting

6. Catfish Shawn

Catfish Shawn New Member

State:
    Carbondale, Kansas
    I am going to go out and give it a good wing. Alot of good info from the BOC brothers.:big_smile:

7. Catfish Shawn

Catfish Shawn New Member

State:
    Carbondale, Kansas
    My buddy Jared caught a 42lb flat out at osage but has never seen another since. Maybe we can hit up Osage or dragoon sometime.

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Brother, I have a couple threads for ya that should be good for all rivers in general! Go to the flathead section... then to the flathead Question and answer thread.. There are many expert catmen waiting on your questions and to help! Also, in the library there a threads pertaining to catching flathead catfish... I have one in there called 5 things a beginner flathead fisherman needs to know... Not that I know anything, lol... but it has alot of useful posts and im sure it can help! goodluck, and don't be affraid to ask your questions! rollo

9. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Take Rollo's advise. It's well worth readin.

10. Catfish Shawn

Catfish Shawn New Member

State:
    Carbondale, Kansas
    It is great advise and I have learned alot from that forum. I should be ready to pull in my first big flat. I will post pics if I get one.

11. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    I would not go to Lake Osage for flatheads because it has been my experience
    that channel cats and flatheads don't get along very well. Either one or the
    other species dominates in the area over the long run because they prey on
    each other from time to time. Osage is being managed for large channel cats.
    That means that fingerling flatheads have got a harder time getting big enuff
    to be left alone by the channel cats. I might be wrong on this since I'm no
    fishery biologist.

12. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas

I have heard of a few 50+ Flats coming out of the lake.

I try to get out at least one or two times a week for sure more than that depends on the week. Right now I'm waiting on the new trolling motor to come in. The old one has been acting up so I needed a new one. I'm game to head out with a BOC member any time.

13. Catfish Shawn

Catfish Shawn New Member

State:
    Carbondale, Kansas
    I would of never thought about that. I have a spot at Osage that has some logs and branchs in a deep part and though some flats might be hanging out in the area. My brother is coming in to town tomorrow and we will try to hit up dragoon for some flats.

14. Catfish Shawn

Catfish Shawn New Member

State:
    Carbondale, Kansas
    Nothing like a new trolling motor.:big_smile: Cant wait to go out and show you a few good spots.:eek:oooh:

15. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    shawn,you are in the heart of flathead country.dont waste your time at osage,you best bets would be pomona (110 arm or dragoon arm)or the goon itself,you have melvern right down the road and the marias de cynge that feeds it is a hot spot,also the log jam at redmond,the delaware north of perry from ozawkie to valley falls is good,the waki is a gold mine etc. etc etc....those are just some good places to try,but the main thing you gotta have to catch them big flats is patience and lots of it.its all about timing with those creatures.if you are really determined to catch one,next time you go fish for them,take big live bait and a pillow:wink:

16. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    he is right on the button

i have sat there for hrs with not so even a bite because i fish from shore and then bam it all comes together and pull out 1-4 flaties out in a matter of minutes

good post there:wink::wink:

17. Catfish Shawn

Catfish Shawn New Member

State:
    Carbondale, Kansas
    How about the waki on old 75?

18. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    ive hit that spot several times and aint never got anything. that dont mean nothin though. its a nice spot but the bank is kinda steap though but it can be dealt with.

19. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    River= Structure

Lake= shallow water follow the bait. Seriously 1-2 feet of water can net you monster cats.

20. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    sean, your best bet on the waki would prob from the bridge where it dumps into the lake to a 1/2 mile up river.lots of structure and pocket coves.