need advice

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by CatfishHateMe, Nov 10, 2006.

1. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    where i mostly bank fish, under a train bridge. theres a big concrete pilliar(more like a wall) holding the train bridge up, about 25 yards out and then about 6 more spaced out about 20-30 yards from each other, with underwater jams 30 yards out to the right and rocks about the same distance out on the left. all ive cought here are eater sized channels and small blues. what should i do to try and catch flatheads?

2. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    Try some live, hand sized bluegill close to the jams

3. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    you can also use bullheads, I use them up to 15-16" long and catch some nice flats on them. I use both of the baits and eels also. Just make sure you cut the tail on them so that your barely cutting into the meat of the tail, you want them to bleed. I also cut the stingers off the bullhead so that they bleed even more. They seem to last quite a while even though they are bleeding. If there are hungry flats in the area it wont take long at all. I use 10/0 gamakatsu octopus hooks and hook them behind the dorsal fin. Good luck, let me know how it works

4. rangercatman

rangercatman Member

State:
    Cameron, NC
    Try a fist sized cut of fresh shad during daylight hours (fished close to the jam) & do what JAYNC said use bullheads... They are like an underwater dinner bell. Good luck!

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I'd try to get to that area about 30 minutes before dark. Get all set up before full dark. I'd use hand size sunfish on a minimum 5/0 hook. Chunk it near the log jam and set there with the pole in my hand. If I put in 2 or 3 hours without a flathead, I think I'd start exploring and looking for somewhere else to spend my time. Of course, the situation changes every time the river rises, so I'd start all over again. At some point there will be flatheads in structure of that type. Probably go to my heavy 20 lb test line in that type of structure.

6. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    I would go with the bullheads, but make sure you cut all of the fins off or they will snag you up. I would have never thought it would work but I have caught plenty in the 20's off of bullheads. Try to use some big herring and gizzard shad! Live or dead it doesn't matter.

7. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    If you have already been using livebait you might have to find another spot. Keep in mind that flatheads don't have to feed every day or even every week. If you know there have to be flats under there you just have to put yourself there under optimum conditions. Late May early June, just as the water temp reaches 55 degrees. Flats are hungry and searching for nesting sites. They are on the move more than any other time of the year. The rest of the summer they will hit sporadically whenever they see fit. You just have to go 3 to 5 nights a week to be there when they are biting.

8. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    hay jayson are you fishing the wabash west of town?i've always been told big bait = big fish.

9. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Try using Large creek chubs... they will eat it up like kids in a candy store.. I see you arent to far from me.. Im on the westside of indy... i have my best luck with large creek chubs and hand size bluegills live or dead.... hope this helps and best of luck to ya

10. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    By the way welcome to the BOC... You to John