Need advice

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by MRR, Jul 24, 2006.

1. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Getting ready for a cat tourn next month where is the most likely place the blues will be hold up in. Deep water around rocks Dikes dams or what. hope fully we can make a good showing this year. Any suggestions will be greatly appericated. Also what bait do you suggest for in Aug? Thanks .

2. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    Dont know where you're fishing but if its a lake, maybe look for the thermocline and target any fish suspended just above it. If a river with no thermocline, I'd look for the deeper holes or around dams. Dams are also good for highly oxygenated water this time of year. Shad is usually the best for me this time of year. Also bluegill.

Good luck

3. lnghr22

lnghr22 New Member

State:
    Texas
    they will probably be in holes and maybe find a creek channel, and use cutbait for sure

4. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    I'd use cut shad steaks, and fish on the edge of underwater DEEP bluffs. I'd put one line right on the lip and one right over the edge. And the best holes this time of year will be in or right after fast moving water, because there's more oxygen there. And like one of the previous posts said, if you're fishin' a lake, try the thermocline. Hope this helps.

-Red

5. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Just want to say good luck John, hope you get into a mess of em brother.

6. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Nope no lake ,it's going to be on the Mississippi river between Clarsville dam Clarksville,Mo and Saverton Dam at Hannibal , Mo.and points in between including Salt River.Thats why I was asking about the dams and dikes. Thanks for all the input so far .Much appericated.

7. cross_their_eyes

cross_their_eyes New Member

State:
    Show Me State
    What time of the day is your tourney? It will make a difference. Get some skip Jack now and freeze them so you have the right bait. Catch and use fresh shad right before the tournement; cut off the tails and poke a few holes in them and hook them through the eyes. Take another rod and use fresh shad sides. If you get any big shad use the heads. Try skipJack the same way. Throw all of these different baits and find what they want. Use your graph. Day time fish deep holes in the river (with current), night time fish the flats between dykes. Don't get boughed down in one hole, move every 30 minutes or so. Now go win that tourney!

8. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.

Tournm starts at 7am and you have to be back to check in by 4pm. Most likely gonna be pretty warm out there in a boat that long.

9. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Good luck, John!! The mighty Mississippi holds some whopping big blues, and I agree with what the others have said - fish the current breaks and ledges around and into deep holes. Get those different baits out and see what they're taking. And drink plenty of water, don't want you getting dehydrated in that heat.