Need advice

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by billNpam, Jul 27, 2009.

1. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    Guys I went and checked on the feeder and was disappointed to say the least. It looked like I had no vistors to the feeder in a week. There was alot of corn on the ground and no tracks are droppings within site. I know that there is deer in the area I killed a big doe from this stand last year. Should I move it or let it go for a while longer. I did cut a couple of shooting lanes when I set it up but did not cut alot could this be the problem?
    I could move the feeder to another area where I saw plenty of tracks and droppings and a couple of deer but it is thick but not impossible to get into.

2. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    No takers in a week? Yeah, I'd move it.

I usually set up mine where they're already moving. Usually doesn't work to good to draw them where they don't want to go. I have one setup at the corner of one piece of property that is the only place I can hunt on this piece. Deer don't normally move through there, and rarely come to the corn unless there's nothing else to eat. At that spot I usually either kill nothing or 3-4 a year. I leave it setup because I can walk to it from the house. Other than that spot I usually use feeders/corn on or near a trail to hopefully draw deer out sooner or just to give them a reason to stop in the shooting lane.

3. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    From what I know when you put out a feeder plan on havin it there for a while, they may come fast or they may take months but once they start feeding on it everynight they will continue. I helped my brother put out a feeder last year and it took a month before he even saw a deer track the corn was getting moldy on the ground but once they found it they were in there quite a bit. It's kinda like a slat block it could sit there for 4 months without much attention but once they find it there will be a hole in the ground for a year.

4. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I would leave it until the middle of Aug. If they are not using it by then move it to where you saw sign.

5. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I would leave the feeder there. Once they find that there is a steady supply of food there, they will keep on coming back. Are you careful with your scent when you put it out? Good luck to you.

6. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Not sure, but has the weather been very hot in your area? Could be the deer don't need the levels of protein contained in the corn as of right now. They're probably just hitting the grass and water. Wait until the weather gets cooler and you'll probably start seeing better results from the feeder. Just an observation. Probably slow deer movement right now! Maybe might see some deer hitting it if you leave the feeder there for awhile. I would be cautious of scent control too, but the deer will recognize your scent for their satisfaction of food.

7. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I would fill it, leave it and do not go back to it for a couple weeks. The deer need to find it and they need to learn that it is safe to eat there. If you are in the area once a week before they learn to use it, they will be shy about coming to it.

8. chad69dart

chad69dart New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Im with Mark. Its mighty hot so they are most likely passing on the corn you may want to look into soybeans or another alternate feed.

Just give it some time. if you killed a deer there last year then they are they there you will just have to be a patient. As soon as they find it you wont be able to put enough on the ground.

Another trick is if your using a automatic feeder once they start coming in then wrap some dog wire around the bottom of the discharge. When the corn comes out it will hit a the dog wire and make rigging sound. Make sure you dont run the feeder to long you just wont a good sprinkling of the ground with feed and not piled up. Once they get used to the chiming made by the corn hitting the wire it will be just like a diner bell. As long as there is not to much feed on the ground it will have them running to it as soon as they hear it. Keeps them from waiting until late because they figure out if they wait to long it will all be gone. This really helps when the deer tend to naucturnal.

Take care

Chad

9. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I don't know if this has been said or not yet, but I think deer have seasonal patterns. Last weekend I went out the the hunting land that I hunt and put up a few stands. This one stand is pretty much a guarantee to see deer during the hunting season. Its a natural funnel where several trails come together and just about every time I've set up there I've seen deer. This particular hunting ground is a whole lot of CRP with a corner of the land being hardwoods. The area I'm talking about is in the hardwoods. When I put up the stand in this spot I noticed that there are hardly any tracks at all on the main trail I usually see them on and the tracks that are there are old. I think the reason for that is because the acorns haven't fallen yet and they are feeding on other stuff right now that they can get somewhere else. So I'm not all that worried that there aren't any tracks in that area. Long post short, my point is that your situation could have something going on like that. If you've seen them in that area alot in the hunting season and you're not seeing them there or evidence of them being in there now that doesn't mean they won't be there during the hunting season. It could mean that they are just on their summer feeding pattern instead of their fall pattern where you hunt them. I wouldn't worry too much about it until about mid september. Thats about the time they start changing their pattern around here in Kansas.

10. ncriverrat

ncriverrat New Member

State:
    Trinity, NC
    they will start using it alot later in the year, right now theres so much else to forage on they are honing in on it, corn not really protein packed as a lot of other foods this time of year, its kinda like candy is to you or me, but when the food sources start to decline they find it pretty kwik, but right now its just a snack, and not a dependent food source, so i would just leave it, they'll come. im no expert but just my opinion:wink:

11. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    IMO,if they arnt useing it now then i'd move it.i put my first bucket of corn out 3 weeks ago.checked it 2 weeks later and had a huge bare spot where they had worked the ground and my cam had 457 pics in 2 weeks time.most of the time they are either there or their not,in my experiance.

12. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    Well Guys I am takeing you advice and not checking it for a couple of weeks. I will go out on 7 or 8 Aug and see what is happening. It was very hard this weekend not to go.

13. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    You killed a deer there last year right ? The deer might not use the area at this paticular time of year much wait it out .......

14. Angler4life

Angler4life New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Leave it there for a week or two more. They'll find it. Just don't keep coming back to check it, b/c that is putting more of your scent out. Cutting your shooting lanes won't affect the deer, b/c you are not even in the stand. Make sure that there are no dogs running around the property, b/c that will keep the deer away also. You said that there is a thicker spot to put the feeder in, but you don't want to mess up their bedding area. Just try the spot that you have it in for another week or two. Good luck!

15. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    Well I went and checked the feeder this weekend and all the corn on the ground was gone. Did see some tracks about 25 yds away. Ground around the feeder is like concrete so I do feel like it is deer and not other animals. So I feel alot better.

16. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    My mom had 20 acres about 65 miles south of me. We could see signs of deer in the area, but no sightings. There was a tree close to the garden. It was a job plowing the roots and the shade didn't help the veggies. So it was cut for firewood. We dug around the stump, so to burn it out. I asked to leave it.
    I checked the ingredents of deer-co-cane, salt, sugar and calcium. The rock salt was free, 5 lbs., plus a 5 lb. bag of sugar and a bottle of calcium for the vitimin section of walmart. A lot cheaper that the product in the sporting goods section.
    Place salt, sugar in a pot, cover with about 2 gal. of water, bring to a boil, stir occasionally, add calcium, let cool, pour into jugs. Pour on and around stump.
    The first year, the bark of the stump was gone. Still no sightings. But lots of tracks. I'd go by the local mills and pick up spilled grains. I would go by local markets and get the produce from the dumpsters. Apples, pears, bananas, corn and such. The apples and pears, I'd make 6 to 8cuts almost to the core, throw it and it would explode. Split the bananas. The produce and grain would be gone the next morning, no matter how much I threw out. The more of the cane that I poured out the more of the stump dissapeared, and the dug out area got bigger.
    Finilly I found they were coming into the area almost at dark. I got 2 doe one year, a doe and 4 point the next. My stepdad died, the place was to much for mom to care for, even with our help. She wanted us to come visite, not work. So the first decent offer, she sold out.

17. Angler4life

Angler4life New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Thanks a lot for the idea. I'll have to try to make some of that.