need advice

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by leftemptyhanded, Feb 2, 2009.

1. leftemptyhanded

leftemptyhanded New Member

State:
    St.Joseph,Missouri
    i fish on the missouri in st.joe.last fall i bought a boat and started taking catfishing pretty serious.but id like to know what a good rod and reel set up is.preferreably a good open face reel and what kinda hook and size?also is there possiably a guide locally that would be willing to take me out?

2. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    Eric, Welcome to the BOC from Texas. Check out the member library section. You'll find lots of useful information. If you're looking at a spinning reel, the Shimano Baitrunner reels are hard to beat and are a good choice. If you're not limited to spinning reels, try some Abu Garcia Baitcasters, Once you take the time to learn how to cast them effectively, you'll enjoy them. Use whatever hooks you are comfortable with and know how to fish. You might consider a Circle or a Kahle hook as they are user friendly. I use from a 3/0 up to a 7/0, and keep buying larger ones each year. Good luck in the pursuit of catfishing and welcome to the BOC.

3. spanky

spanky New Member

State:
    Missiouri
    Eric i am from around the St. Joe area and do alot of fishing up here and i would be willing to help you out just pm me and we could get together sometime or look for me i have a 24ft sea ark that has big daddy on the side and twisting whiskers on the back with a 225optimax mercury.

4. leftemptyhanded

State:
    St.Joseph,Missouri
    yeah spank my boss has talked to you before up at the truck stop

5. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Steve Brown @ Warsaw Good guide and very willing to, show and help.
    Has good knowledge, of tackle and has a shop geared toward catfish.
    Is a sponsor of Boc. catfish safari
    Jim

6. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    Eric you need to hook up with spanky he a good ole boy and he know all the rope's he will show you all you need to know about fishing on the missouri river

7. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Eric.

8. leftemptyhanded

State:
    St.Joseph,Missouri
    my uncle took a guided trip from steve brown he said nothing but good things about him

9. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    You can't go wrong on a trip with Steve Brown. He knows his stuff when it comes to catfishing! Plus if you are looking to get out soon and the weather doesn't cooperate on the day you booked he has a full enclosure with a heater.

10. medford

medford New Member

State:
    pleasant h
    welcome to the BOC eric you will meet alot of great people here alot of good advice on alot of topics:wink:

11. sjohn58

sjohn58 Guest

I agree with medford, just ask and you will receive.

PS; nice look new boat medford:wink:

12. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Welcome to the BOC Eric?

13. Honzy333

Honzy333 New Member

State:
    MO
    Eric, welcome to BOC. Be carefull, this sport is extremely addicting! Call me anytime and I will go with you. I live around Washington MO but fish all over the MO river.

14. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Welcome to the BOC Eric. There are quit of few of us that fish the stretch of Saint Joseph that are members here on the BOC. Watch for a new thread that will probably start here soon, Missouri River At Saint Joseph.

15. pitbull33

pitbull33 New Member

State:
    missouri
    dont mean to toot my own horn here but I have to say as for local I am probably one of the best guides there is. I am more than happy to take ya out and show ya the ropes free o charge. You bring the beer, LOL

16. roughneckcatman

roughneckcatman New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC Eric!! You will soon meet a bunch of us St.Joe boys if you are out on the river much. You can get alot of advise here on the BOC and from all of us that fish the river here locally but i can assure you that the best thing you can do is practice,practice, and practice some more. Steve Brown is an awsome guide and can be a big help on catfishing in general and in my opinion his catfish safari river rods are second to none. He also carries all the tackle you need including fishing reels. Anyway, i am sure i will meet you soon enough and good luck out there.

17. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Welcome Eric, this site and the guys and gals on here will have you rocking

18. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thats some pretty big talk:confused2: Where exactly are you from?

19. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    My guess up around the nodaway.

20. roughneckcatman

roughneckcatman New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Missouri
    I dont know but i am surprised that Matt, Todd, Spanky, nor myself know this best around here fisherman since we are on the river between us about every day of the week!!!:eek:oooh: