Need advice with rod choice which Grandt

Discussion in 'Trout Fishing' started by bubbajum, Apr 18, 2007.

1. bubbajum

bubbajum New Member

State:
    Monongahel
    I have a chance to get a new Grandt rod at a unreal price.

These are the choices
    7ft-spinning-2 piece-lite action-line wt 2-6 lb

7.6ft-spinning-2 piece-lite action-line wt 2-6 lb

8ft-spinning-2 piece-lite action-line wt 2-6 lb

All the same except for the length, I am thinking about the 8 foot for the longer casting distance to use in the local river and a local lake.

All I know about these rods is the is the All American Pro Series and is there middle line, that is supposed to be comparable to G Looms top of the line rods??

Does anyone have a Grandt rod?

And please any advice will help.

2. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Like you i have heard good things about the rods but do not own one . As far as length if its on a lake or river go with the longest rod possible for that situation . One advantage is casting distance , the next is line protection , with the longer rods you can use lighter lines and the limberness of the rod will protect the the line . Here in the north east its common place to use line as light as 4lbs. in open water with noodle rods as long as 13ft. again space permitting . these rods are nown as noodle rods . Becuase they will bend all the way through the handle cushioning the light line . But as important is the reel here is where you must go for quality , a smooth drag is a must . If i may suggest a couple that i use shimano has a couple , one being high end is the symetre another shimano is the sedona for half that price or another winner is okuma epixor line of reels or some of the daiwas all in the 2500 size they all work well , long casting with smooth drags . As for line my persnal favorite in the clear water of lake ontario and its tributaries is segaur flourocarbon pro in open water with a smooth drag and proper playing of your quarry you should be good with 4lb. test but if not you can bump up to 6lb. because its totally invisible under water .

Good luck and good fishing.

ps. another thing i should mention dont be closed minded on rod selection i recently bought a rod from bass pro from the micro lite series thats actually a float and fly rod for a specific smallmouth techniuqe in clear cold water when fish wont willingly commit these rods are excellent and they have the xps balaning system for them that makes a world of differance in sensitivity and the whole thing will cost you $50.00 out the door and they handle at least 6-7 lb. steelhaed effortlessly on 6lb. line and this i can attest to . I own the 8ft. model . And i also own some high price noodle rods that dont have the balancing system , major differance .

3. bubbajum

bubbajum New Member

State:
    Monongahel
    Well I did it..ordered the Grandt rod 8 foot in light action and a Quantum energy pti-a in the #10 size, I can't wait to get out there with it.

cathouse
    I to like the Okuma Epixor reels, I have two of them in the bait-feeder models and a Shimano bait runner, these are my cat reels.

I just bought a Bass pro micro-lite the 5.6 glass, with a Pflueger under spin reel. I got both pretty cheap I had $23 dollars off with Bass Pro credit card reward points. Man that thing is like a wet noodel....lots of fun

4. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    I hope this combo is everything you hoped for , its hard to buy a combo with out handling it together first off . Especially with fish in the trout family that just move the bait a couple of inches if that thats why sensitivity is key with these particular combos to me . But lets not forget the initial run oh my . For those that know it its pure adrenaline those that dont be still my pounding heart . You just have to see it to beleive i dont think anything else in fresh water can move as fast as a steelhead thats just had his meal bite back . Be prepared .

5. bubbajum

bubbajum New Member

State:
    Monongahel
    Got the rod and reel today, the rod looks great and I think it will be a total blast to fish with. But they sent the wrong reel, called them and the owner said that is what I ordered...???? and had a bit of a attitude about, like it was my fault. The last thing I did with them on the phone was make sure they were sending what I ordered, I specifically said "Quantum Energy with the fancy colors in size 10"

Then the owner says you know the Energy does not come with a spare spool..." I don't want you calling back and accusing me of not include it"...what a Jerk. There is more he said but that is the jist of it. Not happy at all with there customer service at all ( I was dealing with the owner) so this will be my first and last with this company.