Need Advice - Where to go this weekend?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by scolba, Jul 9, 2009.

1. scolba

scolba New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey guys!

We were out bass fishing last night, and my fishing partner (and brother in law) informs me that he's never caught a catfish. :crazy: I was stunned!!! We were planning on checking out a new lake this weekend (Prarie Lake, part of the Panther Creek area), but its mainly a largemouth and muskie lake. With this new bit of information he gave me I said, screw muskie, we're going catfishing!!!

So here's my problem. My catfishing experience is limited to the ponds near where I grew up here locally, and the Tennesse River in Northern AL (where my folks retired to). So I dont' know any of the really good catfish hotspots around here. ....we'll be fishing from a boat w\ a 75hp outboard. I do have a 10hp kicker for it to get on restricted lakes, but i'd rather not mess with it unless its going to be well worth it. :) Also, I'd really prefer not to go to Clinton this weekend. Too many dam pleasure craft!!!

So can you cat masters give me a good reccomendation for saturday? I dont' mind driving a little ways from Bloomington, but probably not much more than about 2.5 hrs. We dont need trophies...just quality size and decent numbers so he can get a few under his belt! Any ideas??

Thanks a lot!
    Scott

2. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    Welcome to the B.O.C. Scott!:0a25: I don't get up that way much, so I don't know if i'll be of much help. I know that shelbyville, lake springfield, and I know there is a smaller lake near bloomington/normal that are all good catfisheries. I know someone on here can maybe be more specific. GOOD LUCK!:wink:

3. scolba

scolba New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for the welcome!!

I'm kind of batting around the idea of going to the IL river, putting in at pekin.....but have seen some folks say the river is crappy right now, but others say its pretty good. Just not sure!

Ah, decisions decisions.... :)

4. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    never fished there before, but you never know. Some of the best fishing trips I've had have been to places I'd never been to before.

5. boyd79

boyd79 New Member

State:
    illinois
    henry is a good place on the ill. river.

6. scolba

scolba New Member

State:
    Illinois
    so do you hit some of the slough's N and S of henry, or just the main channel and bridges??

7. boyd79

boyd79 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i go north. dont think i ever went south. i fish in front of the i,lends. sorry bout the spelling.

8. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Welcome to the B.O.C. Scott ...... The Illinois river should produce some good catfishing . Maybe your partner will have beginners luck and get a hawg . I wish you guys luck .

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Scott Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. Lots of good lakes and rivers down this way.:0a22::0a25::0a25:

10. catfishken

catfishken Member

State:
    Streator, Illin
    yes henry or lacon are both very productive areas

11. scolba

scolba New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Good deal!! Thanks for all the welcome's fella's!

So I think we decided. Going to put in at Lacon, and head north looking for spots between there and henry...maybe even roll up further north if we aren't doing any good. Main reason for putting in at lacon is i have been there once w\ some friends on their ski boat, so am a little familiar with it....and the launch is protected from the current. Makes me a little less nervous about the first time on the river in my boat. :embarassed:

We'll be out tonight from about 1PM to oh-dark-thrirty in a dark grey 18' aluminum Fisher semi v if anyone is out and about!! :big_smile:

Thanks again!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  12. boyd79

boyd79 New Member

State:
    illinois
    anytime, let me no if u slayum. i never put in at lacon. i like new places try. thanks!

13. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    Hope ya caught a bunch! Sorry I didnt get this posted before you went. If you decide to go again Lake Jacksonville is full of eatin size channel. Limit of 6, 2lbers-6lbers are being caught in an hour or so. Along the banks with chicken liver, worms, cut bait and Mepp's no.3 white aquirrel tails. Theres a boating sticker you have to buy since its a municipal lake.

14. scolba

scolba New Member

State:
    Illinois
    We'll def give jacksonville a try soon! Thanks!

Well, we didn't do too well on Saturday. Only caught 2 channels on dip baits. Tried livers, crawlers, dough type as well. We fished all sorts of areas..from just north of Lacon to just past spring valley. lol..we ran a ways. :big_smile:

We ended up coming in right at sundown....an electrical gremlin took out my nav lights, and i didn't realize that until we were out on the water. so we didn't get to spend as much of the 'prime time' out there as i would have liked... :sad2:

15. boyd79

boyd79 New Member

State:
    illinois
    thanks, for the update. i only use shad or asian carp for bait on the ill. river, unless its up and then i go too worms on the bank.

16. Human Resources 31

Human Resources 31 New Member

State:
    Ottawa, Central Illinois
    CUT SHAD WORK WELL....SONNY'S STINKBAIT WITH THE WORM WORKS REALLY GOOD...I AM IN OTTAWA ON THE FOX AND ILLINOIS