Need advice, please.

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by Kutter, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    2000 Chevy Silverado ext cab, 1/2 ton, 4X4, 4.8 V8.
    Drove home the other night, not one problem. The next morning, I went to start it and it wouldn't start. Turned over quite well. Sounded like it was hitting on the initial turn of the key, but just a slight sound of a hit, then no hits at all. Each time I turned the key, same result. !/2 tank of gas. 3 week old battery fully charged. Truth of the matter is, it appears to be like a security feature, but I am unaware of any on this vehicle like that.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks.

2. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Have no clue...could disconnect the pos. lead for a few minutes,then reconnect...like rebooting the computer...I'll let the experts jump in...next:big_smile:

3. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    u need to call the chevy house on this one. It does sound like a security feature but i do not know what would cause this. Can u hear the fuel pump engaging before u try to start it?

4. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Pull a spark plug, and make sure your getting spark.. Had a Van do something similar once, ended up being in the ignition....

If you got spark, revert to the basics, Air, Fuel, Spark :) ....

With spark, try a little starting fluid and see if it fires up.. If so, you got a fuel problem ...

5. Shortarms

Shortarms New Member

State:
    Illinois
    A very common failure on your truck is the fuel pump. See if you can hear it running when you first cycle the key to the run position. You can also shoot a little carb cleaner down the intake and see if she'll fire up. Hopefully this is not the case because these fuel pumps are costly. The cheaper aftermarket pumps are of poor quality and we see quite a few comebacks when they are used opposed the factory pump.

CO

6. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I appreciate all your comments and suggestions.
    I went out this morning and still had the same results. I could find nothing in the Haynes book about this. With my hearing, there is no way I could hear whether the fuel pump was working. In the Haynes book, they said to check for power going to the fuel pump by opening the fuse block cover and using a test probe light to check "prime". They said with the probe in place, and the ground attached, to try to start the engine. They said the light should come on for about 4 seconds, then go out. I am not sure why, but when I turned the key, the truck started like normal with no problem and has done so every time since. ?????????
    One more oddity. The light did come on, but did not go out. It stayed on as long as the engine was running. ?????
    I love this truck, but hate it when odd things happen to my vehicles that normally never get explained. It's working fine now, but now I gotta live with the constant wondering about getting stranded.

7. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    well the fuel pump will come of for a few seconds when you turn on the key but then if you do not start the truck it will go off once it has the fuel system to the proper pressure. But if the truck starts it will stay on till you turn it off. Not sure why it started that time but never before.

Maybe the fuse was slightly loose and you wiggled it enough when messing with the test light?

8. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    GMC FishHauler, you guessed it correctly. I found out it is a security feature in my alarm and was not functioning correctly.
    Thanks for all your reply's, folks. Sure is nice to know I can ask ANY question and somebody on this site knows the answer.