Need advice on which spinning rod to buy.

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by SeaBass, Jul 14, 2009.

1. SeaBass

SeaBass New Member

State:
    Vermont
    I will be buying two new spinning rods. They will be wearing Okuma ABF-65 reels. Up here in Vermont we only have Channel Cats and they are rarely caught over 30lbs. I think I would like to go with an Ugly Stick. I'm not a fan of fishing with pool cues, but I don't like real wippy rods either. I will be fishing with circle hooks and cut bait or liver. Currently I use Berkley Big Game 30lb Mono but might switch to braid.

Here are my picks.

Ugly Stick Catfish 8' MH (Nowhere to check it out. Would like an 8' rod and white would be good also. How tough are the guides? They look weak compared to the Tiger guides)

Ugly Stick Classic 7' MH. (Got the feel I was looking for and heavy duty guides if I remember correctly)

Ugly Stick Tiger 7' M. (If they made a MH it would be a done deal especially if it was 8')

Ugly Stick Tiger Lite 7' H (May be too stiff for my liking and nowhere to check them out)

Ugly Stick Big Water 8' M (Kind of wippy might not have enough backbone?)

I'm open to other options but these seem the best choices to me.

I guess My first choice would be one of the Tigers. They look rugged, but they don't make a M/H. How stiff are the 7' M Tiger and 7' H Tiger lite in comparison to the 7' MH Classic? I was wondering if the Tiger M was more like a MH in the Classic rods?

Maybe with 30# Channels the Ugly Stick Catfish would work fine?

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The guides on the spinng model of the white ugly stick catfish rod are single footed, and bend easily.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have used the 7 foot medium tigers, they has alot of back bone with a flexable tip..I really like them. I can cast sinkers up to 8-ounces with them...very good rod..The medium heavy tigers are broomsticks with very stiff tips.

4. SeaBass

SeaBass New Member

State:
    Vermont
    Thanks,
    I was hoping that would be the case. I've heard nothing but good things about the Tiger rods.

5. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    how much weight are you going to cast? i have 2 rods that fit this
    the ugly stick bws 1102 8ft rated for 1-6oz and the tsunami ttsmh 8.5 ft and rated for 1-3oz both retail for less than 100 dollars.or look at the breakaway/allstar alpha series rods.

6. MikeV

MikeV New Member

State:
    pennslvania
    great action on the tigers,my bro had one for two weeks fished with it twice and cracked it,i still like them thou

7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    yea its nice to see what your getting before you get it :wink: the way your describeing theise rods i can tell you havent seen them, the tigers and big waters are saltwater rated meaning there way stiffer than what you think. the casting version of the mh tiger, the bottom line rating is 30# and the top 60# and unless you got a 30# cat on they dont bend a whole lot. the classic would be like fishing with a ultra lite compaired to it. the catfish series would probally do you perfect but i cant say about the eyes cuse i only fish casting but if you were carefull with it in storage and transit it probally would hold up for a long time. dont know if you looked at their site but here it is http://www.shakespeare-fishing.com/index_rods.html i would suggest looking at line weight and lure weight more and less at the mh m rateing. the two tigers you mentioned would probaly not be a bad choice either. look over the site:wink:

8. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 New Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    if the bigwater doesnt have enough backbone for channels- you better not fish in those shark infested waters !!!LOL :smile2: that 8 ft BW is more than enough for any channel and most other cats!!

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Give the Tigers in ML a look for channels. Best tip action out there and plenty of backbone. Second choice would be the Tigers Med actions as already mentioned. You can't go wrong with the US Tigers.

10. SeaBass

SeaBass New Member

State:
    Vermont
    Originally Posted by TITANSFAN2104>"If the bigwater doesnt have enough backbone for channels- you better not fish in those shark infested waters !!!LOL :smile2: that 8 ft BW is more than enough for any channel and most other cats!!"

I knew I would take a little heat on that one! I suppose you are right. When I lived in Hawaii I caught plenty of smaller Hammerheads and Reef sharks on a 6ft med action Shimano. How that rod survived I will never know. Spent most of it's life bent in half!

11. SeaBass

SeaBass New Member

State:
    Vermont
    Well I just ordered 2 7' M Ugly Stick Tigers and 2 Okuma ABF-90 reels.
    I was going to go with the ABF-65 But they were the same price and for only .4 oz more weight I go from 320 YDS of 20# mono to 330 YDS of 30# mono. Might be a little bit of over kill for channel cats but I will never be under gunned!:wink: