Need advice on the Santee area

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Flyingpig, Dec 24, 2005.

1. Flyingpig

Flyingpig New Member

State:
    Lakewood, Illinois
    My family and I are planning on coming down to the Santee area for a few days to fish in late June of this next year and was needing some advice.

Where would be a good place to stay at on either lake?
    (i.e.; someplace with lodging and pontoon rentals).

Had to make a deal with my wife...
    I get a couple of days fishing, if I'll take her and the kids to the beach for the rest of the vacation.

Any help would be greatly apprieciated.
    thank you,

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Charles, have you ever been to Santee Cooper before? The fishing is pretty good for just about everything at that time of the year, starts getting pretty hot, of course.
    As a starting point, the diversion canal area is central to both lakes, with some good fishing right in the canal. There are several places nearby that can provide boat rental. Black's Camp, Harry's Fish Camp, Canal Lakes Resort, I think all can help. Randolph's Landing on the north side of Lake Marion is another good place, and there are others along the wester side of Lake Marion. If you are going to do the beach scene, you probably would be better off with some of the places I mentioned, for convenience.
    http://www.santeecooper.com/environment/recreation/vacationing/ has information about places to stay, etc.
    If I can be of further help, just ask.

3. Flyingpig

Flyingpig New Member

State:
    Lakewood, Illinois
    I can't thank you enough for the help. It's hard to find a good place sometimes and a little imput from someone close to an area helps a great deal.
    Had a bad experience one time at a place, that from their brochere and pictures on the internet, they looked really good.
    (Needless to say when you close the room door, you shouldn't be able to see your car's tail lights, so I ended up pulling guard duty while my wife and kids slept).

The entire area around Santee Cooper is all new to me. The last time I was even close to that part of the country was when I was a kid (way back in the early 70's).
    Three of the names (Randolph's, Black's and Harry's) I've came across when I was searching for information.
    I most likely will go with one of these places so we're staying right near the water.
    I planned on getting a guide (I've already got a couple I've contacted) for the first day and then getting a pontoon on the second day.
    We're planning on trying to be able to fish a couple of days, do the beach and shopping thing for the wife
    and then try and make it back for the Catstock gathering at Carlyle, Illinois the end of that same week.

I figure if I have to do the beach thing too make the other half happy, it's worth it to be able to fish the Santee Cooper.

Like I said before, I can't thank you enough for the help.

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Charles the only one of those places that rents pontoons is Randolphs that I know of.It is on lake Marion right at the end of the dam and they also have guides.Most of the guides will do you right and you will catch fish if they can be caught.Tommy or I can give you a short list of really good ones.Blacks camp is one of the better camps and Kevin Davis will treat you right.They are at the lower end of the canal and protected from the wind.If you read some of the previous threads you will find a common thread which is; be very careful as those lakes are shallow and any wind above 10 mph can make things interesting.As usual common sense will stand you in good stead.Most all the species of fish will be active at that time and most of the guides will be drift fishing.There is very good flathead fishing close to Randolphs.You will learn a lot from the guides and the beach isn't far away either.Hope you have a good trip and if you need any help feel free to ask.

5. flathead22

flathead22 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Hey, big man! I always enjoy giving out information to help anglers become addicted and better appreciate the beauty of Santee and God's great outdoors. Your best bet would be to get a guide since you have never been there before. If you do consider renting a boat though and fishing on your own, I would recommend you stay in the canal (the lakes are shallow for the most part, and the Santee River is absolutely no place to be without a depth finder!!) If you put out at Canal Lakes or Hills on the canal, and take a left and shoot straight up the canal...you will see a little white house on the left (going towards Marion)...That is a great spot at night! Anchor up to where you will cast just behind the house (casting towards Moultrie). You should be about twenty or thirty yards from the banks. If they are pulling water, work the bank...If not, work as much area as you can. If you are after Flatheads, simply pass the white house but be on the right side of the canal instead of the left (going towards Marion). Go about 200-250 yards past the house and you should see an opening into backwaters...In the area, there is an underwater creek....This is an absolutely awesome spot!! I have fished all night and caught nothing but nice flatheads (nice is near or over 10 lbs) and some great flatheads (35-40lbs). Good luck!!! If you have any questions, feel free to ask!!!!

Catch a big'un,

Flathead22

6. Flyingpig

Flyingpig New Member

State:
    Lakewood, Illinois
    Thank you all very much, As the time for the trip gets a little closer I may be full of a few more questions.

I figured I better start getting things lined out even though it's 6 months away and you've pretty much answered what I needed to get started.

I think the going with the guide sounds even better yet, I'm not the best in the world with shallow water. If there is a stump I'll bet good money I can find it.

Thanks again, hope you all had a Merry Christmas.

7. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Charles, the guide is a good investment...saves a lot of trial & error, too.
    Hope you have a good trip when you come.
    Oh, by the way, if you see some stumps out there with shiny skint marks, that means I was probably there ahead of you. :D

8. Flyingpig

Flyingpig New Member

State:
    Lakewood, Illinois
    Thanks Tommy, I'll look for the stumps with marks. :D
    You guys have been a great help in what I'm doing in June.
    I figured I better take my two sons on a trip they would never forget, before they growed up and moved out. (youngest is 17 and the oldest is almost 19).
    A trip to the Santee Cooper was the only thing I could think of that would be just that and with everyone's help we'll be down that way in June.
    Thanks again for all the help.

9. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    Charles, Randolph`s landing is on the lower end of Lake Marion right on the corner of the dam.
    He has rooms for rent and pontoon boats for rent also.
    Has a nice bait shop,fishing tackle.Boats are equipped
    with 2-way radios and depth finders.
    I hope this info will help you some.Boats are for half or
    whole day.He also has a deep water pier on site for day
    or night fishing.We caught some nice Crappie off the pier.
    This pier is for hotel or camground guests only.

Ace:0a18: