Need advice on the Cumberland river inTennessee--very special trip!

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by Gary S., May 26, 2006.

1. Gary S.

Gary S. New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Howdy fellas. I live in Missouri, but am coming down to fish the Cumberland near the steam plant either tuesday or wednesday. Here's "the rest of the story"...

My dad was pronounced terminal with cancer in Feb. He's only 63. We are the best of friends. Anyhow... there's nothin I want more than to put him on a monster blue. His best to date weighed 40lb. Nothin to sneeze at, but, I know he wants a really big one. My uncle Jack lives in Henry, TN and fishes the Cumberland alot, so he's gonna try to put us on some bigguns. My question to all of you is: in case we don't stumble onto some fish early, can you all give me some patterns to try. I believe Jack fishes a couple of spots with deep ledges. I just really want to keep from putting all of our eggs in one basket. We really only have one shot at this, since dad doesn't have the energy to stay away from home for more than a couple of days. We'll have a good time whether we catch any fish or not, but one biggun for him would sure put the icing on the cake.

Thanks for reading!

2. stephens

stephens New Member

State:
    clarksville tn
    I wish i could help you are a fine son. i hope your dad gets a new state record for tenn. i think the ledges is the place to fish i would use some skipjack if you cant get any fresh ones pm me and i will catch some fresh skipjack for you good luck. that will be a great time just fishing with you for your dad. john

3. Aftercats

Aftercats New Member

State:
    Tennesse
    If you launch at the steam plant and head north down the river there is a large bend with rip rap that some have been telling me to try with skip jack. Just have not had the chance to try it yet but around the steam plant has always been producing cats. Good Luck!

4. Gary S.

Gary S. New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for all the help guys. You don't really know how much I appreciate it.

John, I'll have to let ya know on the bait. I'm a little unsure of whether dad is gonna want to fish tuesday or wednesday.

Daryl, I appreciate the advice on that spot. We'll try it out as long as we have the time to. We are a little unsure how long dad is gonna feel like fishin.

Thanks again guys. THE BOC IS THE BEST!

5. Gary S.

Gary S. New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well....we went fishin, but we couldn't stay but about two hours. Dad was just too weak to stay out. I really appreciate the all the support from my BOC brothers here. Maybe after his chemo is over he'll gain some strength back and we'll get him a big one then.

Thanks Again Brothers.

6. stephens

stephens New Member

State:
    clarksville tn
    sorry he didnt catch a big one but its sure nice trying for a big one. hope everything goes good for your dad .