Need advice on Spinning reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Jim G, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Jim G

Jim G New Member

State:
    Noblesville, Indiana
    I am in the market to buy a new spinning reel. I would like to get some recommendations on some good reels. I will be using it for flatheads and channels, and please include what line I should put on it. I would like to keep it under $80.00. I will be putting it on an ugly stick catfish rod.

thanks in advance for your help.
    Jim

2. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Okuma makes a nice spinning baitrunner for around that price maybe even under.

3. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
  4. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Shimano Sedona works great for fishing here in south texas.... They hold up well in salt water which is hard for any reel to do when getting submersed.... I got plenty of em on my Rods n Reels..... As far as line goes it depends on how big of fish you plan on catching.... Best spinning reel ever made in my opinion....

5. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    do you want baitrunner or not i have three Quantum Opix no baitrunner but have worked flawless for years i string them up with power pro braided line i love em $22.00 at walmart for the money they cant be beat

6. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    I got an Alpha this year [ made by Shakespere ] works great .

7. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Okuma Coronado Baitrunner Is What I Recommend But It Might Be A Little Big For A Catfish Stik.

8. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Diawa 5050 baitrunner, I have two and can't say enough good about them. I got mine on sale for about70 each and only use 20-30 pound line but it can handle 70 pound test and comes with with two spools that both hold a wholr lot of line.

9. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    go to ebay and buy a Jarvis Walker 8500, this is an identical reel to the Penn 8500. I own 3 and have never had any problems.

10. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Not for sure which one is better as everyone has their own likes and dislikes. The thing with Shimanos is that if a part wears out or breaks, Shimano will replace and send the part to you free of charge.

11. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I have a Okuma Metallix and love it. I am getting rid of it thought because I am switching to baitcasters. Love the sound of a clicker. It is For Sale up above.

12. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    i have a Shimano Sedona and i absolutely love the darned thang! :big_smile:

The only deficit that i could see is with the 6.2:1 gear ratio and havin a big fish on the terminal end of the line. I compare this ratio to a abu 5000 that has a 4:1 ratio and feels like a winch.

The spool is tall and allows one to put a significant amount of line on. It is smooth as glass, castin and retrievin: quite often you will stop reelin and your line will be brought another 12 inches. When i'm around other fisherfolks, they stare at the casts that your are able to achieve when it is matched with the proper pole and line.

I have yet to have broken off nor been spooled with this rig.

The drag is quite impressive and has a broad range.

cyas
    rc

13. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    What size is your reel?Thanks,peewee-williams

14. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have the size CD-90's.The complete spools with drag are very reasonable.With the spare spools with assorted line sizes,you can do a wide variety of fishing with the same reel.This is very convenient and economical.peewee-williams

15. catrod

catrod New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I love my Penn 550sg slammer combo I gave 130.00 for it at Bass Pro, can't remember what just the reel cost. But with 15lb. saltwater line I recently pulled in a 25lb blue with it.

16. mangus

mangus New Member

State:
    n.c.
    walmart sells a tidewater by shakespeare. it has 4 ball bearings and a 4.5:1 gear ratio. it sells for about 40 bucks and they have one just like it with 1 ball bearing and a 4.6:1 gear ratio and its called the alpha by shakespeare. i use 2 tidewaters and 1 alpha and they do a great job. just wash, oil and keep the sand and grit out of them. they are very simple to take apart and clean. i have all my reels set up on granger ocean ll rods 6 foot that sell for about 30 bucks. baitcasters are a little more pricey but worth it. the abu garcias 6600 c4 4 bearing 6.3:1 gear ratio is a good one and has nice loud bait clicker and is easy to get to. it reels and cast real smooth and sells for around 80 bucks.
    hope this helps.
    ps: if you want to try a bait caster check out bass pro shops cat max combo. 3 bearings 5.2:1 gear ratio and sells for about 90 bucks rod and reel. i use all of the reels i have mentioned with 40 and 50lb berkley big game and havent been let down yet.

17. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Shimano makes great spinning reels, baitcasters too. Even their cheapest reels work well, with little trouble. I have a Sedona 2500 and it handles cats under 10lbs well, very trouble free. The Sedona 4000, though, is heftier and may be better for your application.

18. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    My vote goes for the Shimano. My personal preference is the Baitrunner series. They are a little more $ than you said but you will still be loving it many years down the road. I bought one over 20 years ago 4500 series and it is still flawless.

whatever it takes

Cheez

19. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Go look at the Shimano line of spinning reels, I have several for bass and pier fishing but i always use baitcasters for the kitties now. Like tea said there is nothing like hearing that clicker scream.

Wheelmobile07

20. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    How about the SHIMANO SYMETRE or STRADIC! I use em' and they are fantastic!