need advice on santee cooper

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by mojocat, Dec 30, 2007.

1. mojocat

mojocat New Member

State:
    ohio
    Looking for some advice i'm planning on going down to santee cooper in march or april I have never been there. I'm looking for a spot we can camp and rent a boat and a good place to fish.

2. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    Its tough to answer right now, because of the drout problem. Most ramps don't have enough water to even put in. Hopefully it will all change by March and we will get some water. The places that I know that rent boats don't have water and alot of boats are standed untill lake level rizes.

3. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Don't know anything about boat rentals, but Santee State Park has camping facilities and even nice cottages for rent. If you want to go there, I'd suggest making a reservation now. Just do a search for SC state parks and they should be easy to find.

Of course, there are many other camps and campgrounds around the lakes. I believe there's a tourist info group called "Santee Cooper Country." You might want to search for them, too, and see what info they have.

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Like JD & John said, it is hard to predict what things will be like in March or April, but that is a good time to fish. Hopefully we will have some water in the lakes by then, but I would suggest waiting until a little later and see how things look. If we don't get a lot of rain you won't have a problem getting a camp site :roll_eyes: but boat rental may be another story. www.santeecooper.com has some info on vacationing the lakes, as well as http://www.santeecoopercountry.com/.

5. jk888

jk888 Member

State:
    GA
    I know Rocks Pond rents boats but they have no water.
    I think Bells Marina rents boats and at the present do have water.

Jim

6. mojocat

mojocat New Member

State:
    ohio
    i would like just to thank everyone for their advice. this is my first time on this web site. i see this can be a very helpful site. i will probably have alot of questions between now and the time i can get down there to fish. another question should i bring bait with me or is there plenty of places to get it down there?and what is some of the best bait to have? and is there good places to fish off the bank?

7. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    Gizzard shad or Blueback herring can be bought at most bait shops & white perch can be caught on the lakes. All three are good baits on the Santee Cooper lakes.

8. rookietocatfish

rookietocatfish New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I agree with jerry I have been told some people use mullet cut up in large size pieces, and if you want eating size cats if you can catch the muscles floating use them.

9. catch & release

catch & release New Member

State:
    SC
    Mojo, according to my 2008 addition of Santee Cooper Country, you can rent boats at Bells, Lake Marion Resort, Poplar Creek, Rocks, Randolphs and 5-6 other places. Anywhere from $35 per day up to $200 a day for a large pontoon. My wife used to work at one of the places I mentioned and said some of the boats were in very good shape. I'd suggest you look at them first, I'm sure some of them are are good and some may be a little suspect

10. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    what i would highly recommend is going to a fish camp out there. i know, fish camps get a bad rep, but i have been to a couple dont there and they arent that bad. there is one (forgeot the name) that we went to and they have a camp, guide services, and will put you on some big cats. the old guy we went out with was named buster, and he knew were to cats were at. we kept a few of the smaller ones and he made some of the best catfish stew i have ever had. something to look into, especially if you are going down there and are unfamiliar with the area.

11. crclhuk1

crclhuk1 Member

State:
    Central, SC
    since you've never been there before and the condition of the lakes at this time you may want to be on the safe side and get a guide for your first trip. IF u go and your first trip produces no fish it may put a bad taste in your mouth. An excellent down to earth guide is Captain John Sellers. He is an older gentleman and really knows his STUFF. Seen him put 40#'s in the boat whenn noone else was catching fish. He has some great honeyholes. U can let your second trip be self-guided. Remember BIG JOHN is his name.

12. crclhuk1

crclhuk1 Member

State:
    Central, SC
    The end of march and the next 2 months are excellent times to go to Santee Cooper. Also October and november are great times, but it's hard for me to get out of my tree stand and back into the boat at those times. We are making a trip from April 5th to the 12th this spring. Always do well at this time of year.

13. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Santee cooper is outstanding.
    I have been to a few camps, rock pond fish camp is a great place, safe family ran and if your looking to party and rise cane dont I mean dont go.

The owner is a retired leo and he is very nice but if you want to stir the pot not a good place.

Deep channels run around the camp, fish charters run out of the area and have a great fish cleaning area.

Its a short run from camp to the canel zone, they have a double boat ramp as well as fishing areas. You or at least last year I parked the boat less than 30 yards from our cabin.

Small store and bait able to be purchased. Fuel is good for mid grade and on weekends they play music at a fest hall on site.

I would recommend it, golf carts seemed very high at about a 100.00 aday but I did not use one cause I had my pick up. try the area around marker 33 its good area and I caught a bunch there!

14. SHELLCAT

SHELLCAT New Member

State:
    Georgetown,S.C.
    Mojo-I am with Chambers pd-went to Rocks pond for years when the kids were younger-Always had a great time-I dont recall a bad day there at all-the last 2 years tho i have stayed at Harrys and Canal Lake resort-great places too-but more for the entire family at Rocks Pond-good luck

15. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    If you stay at rocks pond you better bring a trackhoe to get to the water.LOL Canal lakes or blacks fish camp are pretty nice and have or will have water access. They are the only 2 in that area with usable boat ramps. Good luck.

16. jk888

jk888 Member

State:
    GA
    James are you sure about Blacks or did you mean Hills?

Jim

17. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I think they said they will be done dredging in a few weeks. Im not sure though but when I was by there today they were steady diging.