Need advice on rod holders

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Holder Review' started by perrycounty.in, Aug 27, 2009.

1. perrycounty.in

perrycounty.in New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Anyone know of a good rod holder to bolt threw the 2x8 im using for a new rod rack. Ive looked at monster holders but im not sure the shaft will bolt threw the 1 1/2 wood any help would be appreciated

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  2. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    I built my own. I can send you a pic if you want. I bent the metal then welded the holder to a bolt (mine 6 inch) and used a wing nut for quick ajustments. I diped my rod holders using plasti dip as well. Look just like the store bought ones except for half the price.

3. Steve

Steve New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The base will screw down to it with 4 screws. Monsters are by far the best rod holders I've used. With 4 screws they mount rock solid to about any surface. Steve

4. perrycounty.in

perrycounty.in New Member

State:
    Indiana
  5. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    aaron why don't look into the monster rod holder that are a sponorship of the boc

6. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Their is debate on what the monster rodholders can securely hold, they can hold more than most think.. If it doesnt meet your needs I would go with Tite-Lok.

7. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have six of the dual action monster rod holders. I mounted the bases right onto the side of the boat. and i do a lot of drifting and ive had a lot of big fish tugging and pulling as hard as they could on the rod putting a lot of stress on the holder and the holders hold up everytime. the bases arent loose and the rod holders are bigger than most so the rod is easy to get out even when you have a big fish tugging on it. and once u mount the bases onto something it doesnt matter what they are mounted to, they will hold up. I would definately give steve douglas a call. I promise you that you wont be disappointed in them one bit. :big_smile:

8. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    whichever style of rod holders, or brand that you decide....the bases can usually mount securely to any surface with 2 screws and or bolts. Or 4 depending on the pattern. If you are using wood, longer screws may be sufficient. I happened to use 2 long stainless bolts on my application going through the base, the aluminum on by boat and through a piece of thick plastic i cut as a backing. The aluminum thus is wedged between the base and the plastic for a solid hold. Depending on your budget go with 1/2 inch Driftmasters or Monster Holders...or if you are looking for a solid product for a lesser price (not saying they are as good as monster or driftmasters but get the job done so far) is a guy who sells holders on E bay. Anything you decide, I wish you the best on your project. :big_smile:

9. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Monster driftmaster and titelock are good. Also check member library there are some nice homemade ones there!