need advice on outboard purchase

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by BassMassey, May 13, 2008.

1. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    first of all I don't have a whole lot of knowledge when it comes to motors. my buddy's dad(which i know aren't shady characters) has a 97 mercury 8 hp sitting in the garage. from what they say it has sat there pretty much the whole time they've owned it. my buddy had it on a jon boat for one summer until he bought a big bass boat. he assures me it will start right up with some fresh gas. now it's just laying on the ground in the garage, what would be the best way to run it? i have the hose hook up that you put on the intake. is it safe to just hold it up if it's not mounted to anything to make sure it runs good? and what all do i need to look for? make sure it's pissing water out good, idles smooth, changes gears alright......am i missing anything important? he said for $400 i can take it home. it seems like a good deal to me.....any input would be greatly appreciated-bassmassey

2. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    First thing I would want to know is how it has been store?
    Were fluids left in it while it was sitting?

If so before you tried to start it it is gonna need a good carb cleaning and everything else flushed good.

If you have a small boat to put it on I would think that taking it for a test drive would be the thing to do instead of just running it with the muffs on it.

3. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    get a barrel to put it in or a saw horse to set it on with a tub under it wouldnt want to try and hold it up and start it could be danderous if you got it in gear

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    You may save yourself some trouble by simply running a compression check on it before you buy. If the compression is bad, your talking 1500 to 2000 to rebuild that motor. Then, make sure you mount the thing and submerse it in water. I would not recommend you start it without the water. Don't take long to ruin the water pump or scorch a cylinder.

5. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    thanks for the advice everyone. at the marina across the street they work on boats and motors. im gonna go over there in the morning and ask ol' mike if i can bring it in for a compression check. i found a good 12ft jon boat on a really nice trailer for $1000....it's only a couple years old. Finding a good motor just seems so risky to me after what i went through last summer. i appreciate the help.-bassmassey

6. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    well i now have a very nice mercury outboard sitting in the garage. im going to pick up a jon boat this weekend. i took it to the marina and mike checked it out for me. put some fresh gas in the tank and it started right up after the first pull. he was suprised at how clean it was inside and out. we let it warm up for a bit then he ran it through his little inspection. when i told him what i was paying for it he said i was getting a steal. he said it's pratically in brand new condition, and it looks that way too. thanks again everyone for you help-bassmassey