Need advice on mudders

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by rcneman, Jan 19, 2007.

1. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    thinkin about gettin some mudders for my 4runner....anyone got any experience with them vs. a all-terrain tire?? preferences??

I only use my truck for camping and fishing. Drag the boat around quite a bit. But i do go into an area full of dirt roads that are pretty messy for quite a while after a good rain...this is where i go campin/fishin at.
    I am not really goin out 4-wheelin per say....i just have to travel through some areas that require 4-wheel and clearance to get to where i'm spendin 2-4 days.

any input greatly appreciated! :smile2:

cyas
    robert

2. malaki

malaki New Member

State:
    Redmon Illinois
    i've been shoping around for a set for my ramcharger and got it narrowed down to the bf goodrich mud terrain and the pro comp x terrain. sounds like you use your's for about the same thing i am but i like to be sure i'm ready for anything. we just bought a set of bfg all terrain ta's for the durango and ride really good on the road but she wont let me take it off road to try them.:confused2: i prefere a non directinall tire for the mudd. it gives you the same grip in reverse as it does going foward.

3. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    u would reallty be happy with Pro-Comp Mud Terrains or Mickey Thompson's Dick Cepek tires. They both are great in mud, can make a 2wheel drive go like 4wheel drive, the Dick Cepeks look cooler, but the Pro Comps dont screem as bad on hiway.

4. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    Ya, talked to a mechanic friend of a friend..(heh) and he recommended the mickey thomson's (sp?). He pointed out that they are made of a rubber that is a bit softer which supposedly reduces road noise quite a bit.

He also said they have some type of groove molded into the sidewalls that may help one get 'unstuck' in the mud by gyrating the wheels side-to-side and givin it some gas....i guess the sidewalls grab a bit or something.

Dunno...i'm rather ignorant on the subject.

thanks for the info!

5. pokerkat

pokerkat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    word of good advice, Pro-Comp tires are terrible when it comes to wearing, I had 4 brand new ones that didn't last me a year lol, now if you want Mud terrains, either get, and if money doesnt matter here Mickey Thompson Baja Claws radial plies, or Super Swaper Boggers, they don't wear good either but they are the best out there for mud terrain, well not the best but they are up there, also try BF Goodrich Mud terrain, cheap and really good mudders, if money does matter try Timberline M/T tires, I am not sure who they are made by but they are cheap around 115.00 a piece, also try if money does matter try Mud Kings, not sure who those are made by but they make 4Runners not only go through the mud like a Toyota should, but they make them look sharp too, and those run for about 120.00 for 31/10.5 a pieace, check out JC Whitney.com, great sight for about anything you need. good luck.

6. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i had bad experience with Swampers, they wear alot faster than the ProComp.

Mine lasted 40Kmiles before i replaced them. That is a lifetime with mud tires.

The Mickey's that i have are the Dick Cepek and they have sidewall tread. They help alittle in mud but think that it is mainly for looks.

IMO u cant beat the ProComps for the money. They have fixed the rubber problem and are great tires.

Mickeys and Swampers SCREAM on the highway. I let my buddy drive my truck and i followed in his and they were the loudest tires i have ever heard(the mickey's). I cant hear them in my truck because i drive a GMC and they have alot of noise dampening for their interior.

7. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    First,
    thanks so much for the input. I REALLY appreciate all that have put forth their experience!!!

I just wanna say i care absolute nothin bout looks, price or "hey look what i got".

I'm not a guy that needs to be appreciated. Cosmetics mean nothin to me.

i'm just a guy lookin for the best bang for my buck. My bucks are hard-earned and i want to feel justified for the money i spend for the rubber i get.

keep it comin...really like the input....peace to all, and may you all catch your biggest fish this year!!!!

cyas
    robert

8. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I've got 35X12.50X16.5 BFG Mud Terrains on my truck, 2nd set, getting about 50,000 from ea. set with proper rotation.

I go thru crap you probably wouldn't venture into :eek:oooh: :wink:

9. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    if you wont a tire that is going to pull you in the mud good look at the supper boggers had a set of 44 in tires on my old mud truck that we had for playing there is not a tire out there that can beat them for muding

10. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    You want a good cheap mud tire get some buckshots. They are only 100 bucks a piece for 33" 12.5s. use them on my work trucks. They last a pretty good while.

11. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    My old Dodge has a set of BFG Mud Terrains and they are the best. 60,000 miles and still have tread left. I like them so well I got a set for my new Ford Super Duty. Man they will flat make you think you have a tractor under you in 4 wheel low. I'll bet my Ford would pull my 10' wheel disk with it in 4 wheel low.

They have those All Terains beat hands down. They are the only tires I have found that wont plug up with TN mud. That red clay will grease most tires up and plug the tread. They kick it loose and you can go threw it, really dirtying up the truck. lol

12. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    And i go through the crap to pull u out!!
    just kidding man!

Good recomendation on the BFG mud Terr. they are good tires. I dont know about them on road noise, but i would really pick these over the all terrains. The only all terrain that i had any luck with was the pro cmp X-terrs.

Most all terrs. have a problem cleaning the tread to keep u from getting all bogged up with mud.

13. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    I had buckshots on our ranch truck, they have really poor sidewalls and we had several rocks punch holes in ours just riding on county roads.

14. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    When I was in construction we had to pull a trailer through some mighty muddy places. I tried several different mudders and the ones that worked best for me was Co-op mudders. They don't sing bad on the road and will out pull most other mud grips and they have a good tire life also. They don't look too impressive but they sure get the job done.

15. catfishinrepoman

catfishinrepoman New Member

State:
    georgia
    if you want an all terrain the best tire for a/t is a bfg or a yokohama...for an all out mud tire with the best ratings in every category except noise...superswamper bogger monster mudders...you can get boggers all the way down to a 29"

16. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Just to chime in with my 2 cents.I am a oilfield worker I drive daily in mud most people avoid while sober lol. I run Kelly M&S because I am cheap and well they get me there.All for around 90 bucks mounted and balanced.

Most everyone else runs Maxxis Bighorns and they are a mighty nice tire.

http://www.maxxis.com/products/automotive/product_detail.asp?id=282

17. tigger_tat_55

tigger_tat_55 New Member

State:
    cali
    you cant go wrong with the BFG's I run them on all my trucks. I like the all terrains, but have used the muds with the same luck. the side wall is what sold me on them. I was ripping out the side wall on the other tires to often.

on my 4runner they have done well in all that I have used them on.

18. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    yeah, but thats in Cali, where the mud is kinda limpwristed.
    Just kidding man

19. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    i always had good luck with remington wide brutes.

20. tigger_tat_55

tigger_tat_55 New Member

State:
    cali
    you are right....

where i live mud is almost never seen. besides, rain is overrated....:lol: