Need advice on mounting

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by Bubbakat, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I got a new X96 and I want to know if I can get good results if I mount it on the trolling motor

2. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Bubba, The only drawback I can see is if that is your only unit or only transducer you won't be able to use it unless you're trolling. I don't have one mounted on the trolling motor but I bet it would work good because a bunch of folks mount 'em that way. Maybe someone who knows more will come along shortly.

st

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Greg I have one mounted on the transom and thought it would be good to see forward if I saw some places that looked good and then shut the big motor off and troll through.

4. oldprowler

oldprowler New Member

State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    Willard (Bubbakat): I don't know anything about a X-96 so anything I say may not be applicapble BUT I did have one mounted on the trolling motor. I liked it there, was very handy. There was absolutely no interference from the motor -- which was my primary concern when I did the mount. I used the "hose clamp" type mount transducer intended for that purpose.

5. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    When I first saw the thread I thought I'd just tell you to mount something you climb on top of it.....

I have a Minn Kota with the built in transducer. It works fine on my 28 foot toon. It should help me on my jetted jon too. The only thing I am not sure about is the power of that transducer compared to factory. I say that because I have an X135 with mega power and don't know what the tranducer has to do in the scheme of things.

6. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I have a transducer mounted to my Minn-Kota trolling motor, using the trolling motor mount from Lowrance and it works just fine.

But only when the trolling motor is in the water...

I use it when throwing the net for shad, mostly just to keep an eye on the water depth.

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Bubba,you will get excellent results mounting the transducer on the trolling motor and as T said get the bracket from Lowrance.The X-96 is a fine unit for the money with plenty of power and features.I'm not clear but I think you have a transducer on your transom and want to mount one on your trolling motor?If that is the case you might want to invest in a switch box also available from Lowrance which will let you see either one by flicking the switch.If you see something forward then you could switch to the transon to keep track of it.:big_smile: :smile2:

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Thanks guys. I have two complete units and was wanting to mount my new x96 on the trolling motor and saw where lowerance had the mount for that and wasn't going to order it until I got a little info on this. My transom mounted one does a good job on depth and structure but wanted to put one up front also so My daughter was at Bass pro last week and got me a x96 that was on sale so I wasn't about to say no on taking it.:lol:

Thanks for the advise guys and I'll get that mount ordered this afternoon and see how she acts.
    The most I can loose is the cost of the mount.:big_smile:

9. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    You'll like it Bubba. I've got one mounted on my trolling motor for an X71. I've mounted most of mine on the trolling motor.

10. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I think I will to. I just ordered the bracket and should be here in a day or two. I ordered a few more things to so Got to keep this from the wife.:big_smile: Boy I am glad the mail box is a long way down the road for her.:lol: