Need advice on Lowrance X50DS

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by rks1949, Jul 19, 2009.

1. rks1949

rks1949 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have a new depth finder ( Lowrance X 50DS),and the main reason I wanted it on the jon boat was to find the deep holes,and keep from running aground in the river shallows. Yesterday we were crossing a sand bar,and it was reading 5.5ft. The prop ran into the sand bar,and the water was actually around 1 foot deep!:confused2: I have the shallow alarm set at 3 ft. and it has NEVER went off? Also when at planning speed the, depth finder will flash,12.5 ft,(or what ever it decides to display)then when you slow down( off plane) it will read the "real depth" and it's much less! We ran the boat up on a sand bar,and got out,with the boat rear end in about 2 ft. of water. NO alarm,and it read 5.5 feet? I can't figure out whats wrong with the depth finder. I know it's not the top of the line,but figured it would at least read the depth correctly? Any help would be appreciated. Ron

2. bulethed

bulethed New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    if you look in your operators manual it will tell ya how to set the true depth.

i like mine to read perfect!

Bill.:wink:

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I would recommend that you re-read the instructions for installing the transducer, and check everything there, too. When the depth is flashing, it means you have lost bottom. Jon boats are difficult to set up so that it reads at higher speeds, due to air entrainment underneath the boat that is funneled back to the transducer. :big_smile:

4. rks1949

rks1949 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks, guy's! I'm taking the boat in to the dealers today,he installed everything,so maybe he can help. Ron