Need advice on if this is a good boat deal or not!

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by tanner, Mar 27, 2006.

1. tanner

tanner New Member

State:
    Somerset, Kentucky
    I found a 14 Foot Lowe flat bottom Jon with a 15 HP force motor, trolling motor, livewell, and trailer for $1000. do you all think this is a good deal? the guy says the motor runs great. and it looks in overall great condition. let me know what you think.

2. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    If the boat don't leak and the motor runs, sounds like a pretty good deal to me. :) Go price a new package with that same setup and it'll sound like one heckuva good deal!

3. dademoss

dademoss New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Take it out for a spin and see if it suits you. If it runs good and you like it, its a good deal.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Wel;l you will have a good boat a good trailer and one good trot line anchor when it does quit running. Or if it runs.
    I don't have to much faith in a force engine.

5. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    heres what i just put together. 72 richline on a 75 trailer one owner garage kept vgc. $650. new mercury 15hp 4 stroke electrric start $2857w/tax. 2 new radial trailer tires $ 65. remanufactured minnkota trolling motor $ 265.navigation lights $60. tags title and tax for missouri $276.$4173.00 for a rig most people wouldnt give a second look for $ 1500.00. and my wife says im not a good trader.:rolleyes:

6. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i dont know anything about force motors, but if they are good then that is a very good price!

7. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I think thats a great deal if the motor is good, considering if you went out and bought a new 15HP outboard it would cost every bit over $1000.

8. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I like the force motors. I just sold a bass boat that had a 120 horse Force motor on it, and it never gave me a lick of trouble. I HAD to use Mercury oil in mine or it would foul plugs terribly bad, and I had to clean my plugs ever 4 or 5 trips. But if I did my part, the motor ran like a champ.

To answer your question, if the motor runs well then I'd buy it. It sounds like a pretty darn good deal.

Jerrod

9. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    hasnt been to the boat store lately.

10. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Rex, no I havent been lately, but my father just paid over $1100 for his new 9.9 Mercury last year, so I was just guessing about what it would cost. What is the price now days?

11. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    no more 2 strokes only 4 stroke to meet epa standards.15 hp merc pull start 2325 plus tax. 25hp merc or yamaha electric start 3250 plus tax. its a killer if you want a boat motor. saw a 50 hp yamaha 6250 plus tax.but there is good news resale values should be higher because some states are going to reqquier 4 stroke only motors. if every one goes that way the 2 stroke out board will end up like the 3 wheelers of the 70's

12. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    The boat and trailer are worth a 1000 if they are in good shape.
    But I will stand by my statement. I would not give a good 10 dollar bill for any force motor. I have seen to many of them go south and parts are hard to come by.

13. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    If everything works, buy it! Before I do...:)

14. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I wouldn't buy it till I'd seen it on the water with the engine running to my satisfaction. And even then, only if that was the kind of boat I really wanted.

If you've got a $1000 to $1500 budget, you can do better than a 14 ft jon boat with a 15 hp engine.

My dad just sold his old Lowe 17 ft. v-bottom with live well, trolling motor, newly overhauled 35hp Johnson, fish finder, side console, swivel chairs and a decent trailer for $950.

15. cjb10876

cjb10876 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I just got an old (1970) grumman 14' V-bottom with a tilt trailer and electric trolling motor for $350. A similar set up with a 9.9hp or up would be around $1000 to $1200 around here. If everything works it sounds like a reasonable deal if not a great one. The motors are the big investment.

16. explayer

explayer New Member

State:
    Tucson AZ
    I would say yes this great deal if like it

17. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Het guys, a 5 hp two stroke Mercury costs $1100.00 at Academy. Don't price them at Bass Pro unless your setting down and your doctor is near.

18. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Sounds like a pretty good deal or a fair deal anyway. Wait much longer into the spring and ya won't find one that cheap. Prices are on the way up as spring warms up.
    I bought a 1983 15' flat wide bottom high sides, '83 15hp Evinrude (been sittin' up) didn't even try to start it when I paid for it. My problem now. Old trollin' motor, and trailer for $900.00 I since put over $385.00 into the trailer and atleast $ 150.00 into parts (new water pump kit) this is a must do, plugs and props for the motor and now I'm building up the jon the way I want it with storage and rod holders, seats and such. So now my $900 boat deal is around $2000.00 with tags for the boat and trailer,
    Just make sure this is the size boat ya want cause ya can do alot of stuff to it but ya can't make it any longer.

19. SwiftWater

SwiftWater New Member

State:
    Central Virginia
    Sounds like a good buy. If the boat is in good condition and the motor still has some life left in it I'd check it out. I bought my first jon boat package a month ago. It's a new Lowe 14 MT Double Wide, 25 hp Yamaha 2 stroke tiller, trailer and it set me back $3,700. The motor alone was $2,100. I looked online at the price of the same package deal and the price has jumped up $200 more from last month's prices.

20. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    not a bad price. i gave $1300 for a 16' jon with trailer and a 20 hp merc. my partner ducain gave $800 for a 14' mod v with a 15hp and trailer. be sure and change that water pump before you run it though. take it from me and ducain, it will save you a hole bunch of money. and like t-bone sayed prices are quickly on the rise for the year. round here a new 15hp will run you about $2800