Need advice on hook types for Catfishing

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by kyron4, Jul 4, 2007.

1. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have always used Eagle Claw 3/0-4/0 offset "J" style hooks (084). However I'm finding the curved tips aren't as sharp as I'd like, and hard to sharpen. Also I can't help to think I've miss a few hook-ups because of this. I don't like circle hooks, so whats my options ? What is the pros and cons of the "J" Octopus hook ? The "wide gap" Khale hook ? And the "J" style o'shaugnessy hook ? I'm leaning towards the Mustad O'shaugnessy hook with a straight spear point tip. Any opinion on this type ? I usally fish with 4"-6" creek chubs or gills. Also does a offset point/curve have any advantage over a straight/flat hook ?
    -Thanks

2. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I love the kahle hooks. Been using them for about a year now and very rarely miss a hookset. I even started buying smaller ones for bream and they work great. 90% of the time they are hooked right in the corner of the mouth.

3. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Mike I've been using Eagle Claw Lazer Sharp kahle hooks for years.If a fish gets one of them in his mouth it's hooked!!!

4. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    I would recomend(Owner 5178)circle hooks,but you stated you don't like circle hooks. They are very sharp with superneedle points and have generally worked awsome for me.:0a23:

5. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    I started out using and still like the mustad kahle hooks and recently purchased Demon circle hooks per a BOC review .

6. robbor

robbor New Member

State:
    Ca
    I basically only use Gamakatsu Octopus, in 6/0 and 10/0 black nickle.

7. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I tried Circle hooks(Gamagatsu, Eagle Claw and, a few others) for about a year. I was very dissapointed in their preformance overall. Though if the fish are hammering the bait they work well. If they are just picking it up and dropping it they ain't worth diddley squat to me. I have switched to 7/0 to 10/0 khales and have never been happier with these hooks.

8. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Just listen to JW and you will start putting fish in the boat. I like the eagle claw nickel plated 7/0 kahles and the eagle claw black pearl king kahles 8/0, 9/0 and 10/0.

9. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    Id give the kahls a try. I use circle hooks in certain situations but for not all. Like was already mentioned if the fish are just nibbling then their no good:roll_eyes:

10. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Been through a bunch of hooks and have pretty much settled on the Gama Octopus hooks 4/0-10/0. I snell my rigs and use them just like circle hooks only I give them a little yank after I pick the rod up. I get a very high hook-up rate when using the proper sized hook.

11. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    I've have used circle hooks for years but since alot of people on the B.O.C. like kahle hooks, I just orded some to try them out.:006:

12. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    However, don't list too long or too hard otherwise you will start to have a craving for pink underpants and you will run out of gas. :wink::wink::wink: Hi Johnny!

He is right though, peckers will clean a circle hook of bait without getting hung...W

13. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Gamakatsu bait holders and Kahles for me.

14. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Here's a little something to help make up your mind and be more able to judge by..... http://www.mustad.no/abouthooks/index.php Since you're wanting Mustad, you might as well hear what Mustad has to say about hooks.....Dwight

15. stickusmc

stickusmc New Member

State:
    Glasford, Illinois
    i was just wondering if anyone can describe or have a pic of kahle hooks. i use circle treble and j hooks and would like to try some kahle hooks but not sure what they look like. thanks

16. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Here is an example of the Khales that I use: 7/0 and 10/0 king khales!

17. stickusmc

stickusmc New Member

State:
    Glasford, Illinois
    thanks i already have some in my takle box just didnt know what they were called lol:smile2:

18. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    i use eagle claw kahle hooks....they seem to get the job done