Need Advice on Driving Thru Atlanta.......

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by kyredneck, Oct 9, 2008.

1. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    .....Leaving KY for FL around noon tomorrow; probably will hit Atlanta around 6:00 p.m., on a Friday; should I attempt I-75 straight thru or take 285 around?

I hate gettin stuck in traffic. Would appreciate any info. Thanks.

2. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    dont stop they worst than memphis tn drive reel fast

3. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Richard, straight thru or around?

4. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    threw was easy for me when i went to florida big interstate in the town watch the signs

5. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    ....hehe, yea, but was it on a Friday evening at 6:00.......?

I probably will just try straight through....... Probably a gamble either way....

6. takeaction

takeaction New Member

State:
    Ware Shoals, SC
    I don't know anything about 6pm on a friday, but I do know one thing... Those people are crazy!

The wife and I went down there after we got our ham radio licenses soon after I moved out here to SC... We went to the ham radio place, and when we hit Atlanta, it was like they let all the nuts out to drive at the same time. I was doing 5 mph OVER the speed limit and still almost got hit 3 times by people leaving us behind like we were standing still!

I swore then, and I still stand by it... If there is ANY other place that I can get an item, it WON'T be from atlanta... I'll drive to Maine before I go back there!

7. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Go back home it ain't worth it. Seriously I hate to drive thru there. That
    traffic intimidates this country boy.

8. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Yea, i know zactly what you mean; I came back from FL last month on a Saturday afternoon; on the six lane section of I-75 thru Atlanta I was actually doing 100 mhp at one time 'going with the flow' in the left lanes......... and was still getting passed. I'd hundred times rather do a 100 mph than 5 though. I just don't know what kind of congestion to expect on a Friday evening.

9. snoman774

snoman774 New Member

State:
    fouke,ar
    its been a couple of years since i was through there and i was in a big truck everytime but i would suggest holding off a couple hours hit it about 9 or 10 or iffin you can after midnight.

10. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    That's a tough call, but if you do take 285, take 285 West not East around. Tune in to an ATL radio station to get traffic updates and read the big DOT traffic signs when you get close to ATL. I would probably go around at that time, because the 75-85 merger downtown will be slow even if there isn't a wreck. It really just depends on where the wrecks are tommorrow. Good luck and be safe.

11. catfish_girl

catfish_girl New Member

State:
    Georgia
    It's gonna suck either way but straight through is probably going to be your best. It will be bumper to bumper traffic when you get to the "Grady Curve" but it should be faster than going all the way around. Just be alert everyone drives like idiots and they will get up to about 65 and then slam on their brakes. Have fun :)

12. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Try Las Vegas, worse than LA.

13. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    Drive straight through, go with the flow, it will either be real fast or dead still. HOV lanes help, use it if you have a passenger. Pray long and hard before you hit there. No one carpools on Friday, so the congestion is horrible. Good luck.

14. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks everyone for your input. I'm probably gonna try straight through.

15. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Well, we just got back from Kissimmee, FL. On our trip down we hit the greater Atlanta area around 3:30 p.m. (got an earlier start than I expected) and the traffic was horrendous; evidently there was a wreck ahead of us somewhere because law enforcement went around us in the emergency lane with lights and siren on; it was rush hour, on a Friday; and there was road construction happening on the south side of Atlanta (on I-75). It took us two (2) solid hours to get through that mess, 0 - 25 mph all the way.

Coming back we hit Atlanta around 2:45 p.m. and averaged 80 - 85 mph all the way through; took about 25 mins. to get clear of most of the traffic.

But, we had a good visit in Florida.

16. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    Glad you made it back alright if you only had the one traffic jam count your self lucky you could have hit one in Macon also by going thru Atlanta when you did

17. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    The 475 Bypass around Macon is nice, you don't have to go thru and it actually shortens your trip around by 1/3 (at least).

18. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    CHANGE THE TIME YOU ARE HITTING ATLANTA!!!

Guess I was a little late, but good advice anyway!

19. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Need Advice on Driving Thru Atlanta.......

DON'T LOOK BACK and STAY FOCUSED!!!!!

20. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Had I known we were goin to blow two hrs, i would've left later. The bypass around was backed up too.

......hehe, i guess there's probably some folks here that love Atlanta; but me personally, the best way to see it is through the rear view mirror.........