Need advice on drift-fishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by veryama1975, May 8, 2008.

1. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    Hi,

I am having a little trouble locating the cats on some of my local lakes. I don't have a fish-finder so I am basically blind so far as the bottom structure & cover go.

I was thinking it might be a good idea to drift fish so that I can find where the cats (mostly channels in my area) are hanging out.

I don't have a regular boat but I do have a canoe that I am building some outriggers for (in case a catch a biggun'). I am going to make rod holders by drilling some holes in a 2 x 6 board that I'll c-clamp across the gunwales. I hope to get a small trolling motor when my tax check comes in.

Here's my questions: How do you go about drift fishing? How do you rig up your lines? How much line do you let out? What kind of weights do you use (bottom bouncers, walking sinkers, etc.)? J-hooks or circle hooks? Also: anything that I may have forgotten to ask?

Thank you very much in advance for any help that you can give me!

2. CATFISHERMAN001

CATFISHERMAN001 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    First and foremost you will need to get a topography map of you local lakes. Since you don't have a fish finder you will need to know the bottom topography. Yes you want to use bottom bouncer, or Lindy no snagg slip sinkers. I use circle hooks cause the fish will hook itself when it strikes. If you are using a trolling motor to control your drift then let out enough line that your sinker continues to bounce off the bottom. you will be able to tell that by the way the tip will bounce, it is going to vary depending on how fast/slow your drift is on how much line to let out. Also I always use a cigar type float about 6-10" about the hook to keep my bait from sinking to the bottom with the lead. Good luck with it and I hope this helps.

3. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Matt, I have covered drift fishing and what to look for in the BOC Library under the thread 'Mac Byrum's Catfish University'. I hope this will help you out. Mac