Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has just decided that she would like to start fishing with me alot more. I do not know what kind of combo to get her since i have been using baitcasters since i was 8 yrs old.
My wife has fished with smaller spinning combos and is OK with them.
What kind of rod/reel combo should i be looking for her?
I do not want to drop a huge amount of money since i do not know how dedicated her desire to fish is.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
What type of cats will you be after. I had the same dillema last year with my nephew wanting to go fishing. We went to Wal-Mart and bought a $20 Berkley Big Game rod. I gave him one of my older Shimano Spinners and he out of his own pocket bought some fishing line....The reel was a cheap Shimano FX 4000 about $20 bucks( i like the older ones).... Should be enough to handle just about any Channel Cat and some smaller flats possibly....

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
My wife just got her a Zebco hawg seeker and loves it. $39.99 at Walmart.
But play around with the bite alert to get it to work right, or just leave turned off.:big_smile:

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
we will be targeting larger blues for the rest of the tournaments this year.
probably fish between 10 and 20lbs.
I was thinking of the Shimano spinning reel on a berkly rod. A larger reel that will hold 150yrd+ of 14lb line. And looking for a MH or H berkly rod that is 6'6 or 7'
Like i said, i am not into the larger spinning reels and have never used them but the smaller shimanos have always been good to me.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
we will be targeting larger blues for the rest of the tournaments this year.
probably fish between 10 and 20lbs.
I was thinking of the Shimano spinning reel on a berkly rod. A larger reel that will hold 150yrd+ of 14lb line. And looking for a MH or H berkly rod that is 6'6 or 7'
Like i said, i am not into the larger spinning reels and have never used them but the smaller shimanos have always been good to me.
James the smaller Shimano's have been good to me also. I own a few of them however i don't now how much(constant) abuse it can take from a 20lb blue. Ten pounders should be ok. You might consider going up a size. Basically the 5000,6000 and 8000 are the same only real difference is the spool size.....( they weigh in about 19 or 20 ozs....Just my two cents though...:wink:

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Depending on which model. The Sedona is their cheapest larger size reel. It can be found for about $60. Might defeat the purpose of your post about been cheap....:wink:... Lol......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.