Need advice on Combo for Newbie

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by GMC FishHauler, Mar 18, 2008.

1. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    My wife has just decided that she would like to start fishing with me alot more. I do not know what kind of combo to get her since i have been using baitcasters since i was 8 yrs old.
    My wife has fished with smaller spinning combos and is OK with them.
    What kind of rod/reel combo should i be looking for her?
    I do not want to drop a huge amount of money since i do not know how dedicated her desire to fish is.

2. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    What type of cats will you be after. I had the same dillema last year with my nephew wanting to go fishing. We went to Wal-Mart and bought a $20 Berkley Big Game rod. I gave him one of my older Shimano Spinners and he out of his own pocket bought some fishing line....The reel was a cheap Shimano FX 4000 about $20 bucks( i like the older ones).... Should be enough to handle just about any Channel Cat and some smaller flats possibly....

3. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    My wife just got her a Zebco hawg seeker and loves it. $39.99 at Walmart.
    But play around with the bite alert to get it to work right, or just leave turned off.:big_smile:

4. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Check out some of the Okuma combos. Depending on what you're targeting, I would look at the Avenger ABF.

5. spcmitchell28

spcmitchell28 New Member

State:
    Polo, Missouri
    My girlfriend also has the zebco hawg seeker, and I have to say im pretty impressed by it. she was outfishing me with her $40 combo vs my baitcaster set up.lol

6. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    the bass pro catt maxx combos seam pretty nice for the money

7. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    we will be targeting larger blues for the rest of the tournaments this year.
    probably fish between 10 and 20lbs.
    I was thinking of the Shimano spinning reel on a berkly rod. A larger reel that will hold 150yrd+ of 14lb line. And looking for a MH or H berkly rod that is 6'6 or 7'
    Like i said, i am not into the larger spinning reels and have never used them but the smaller shimanos have always been good to me.

8. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    James the smaller Shimano's have been good to me also. I own a few of them however i don't now how much(constant) abuse it can take from a 20lb blue. Ten pounders should be ok. You might consider going up a size. Basically the 5000,6000 and 8000 are the same only real difference is the spool size.....( they weigh in about 19 or 20 ozs....Just my two cents though...:wink:

9. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    the shimanos that size are pretty pricy right?

10. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Depending on which model. The Sedona is their cheapest larger size reel. It can be found for about $60. Might defeat the purpose of your post about been cheap....:wink:... Lol......

11. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    dont worry about spending to mutch on something she might not use and get something you want that she can use:wink:

12. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Id go with an Abu 6000 paired with a Berkley Big Game rod from walmart. Great starter set up in my opinion and would about $80.00 rspd507