Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I am looking for a hangun for personal and home protection I am not a handgun guy so I need some advice on what to get..This gun will also go fishing with me while out at night..I dont have alot of money to spend could I get anything for around 200 bucks?

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
Hey Jack, I thought Bryan had a few he shot shovel heads with in pay ponds. Maybe you could trade a good fishing spot for one?:big_smile:

Your A Kill Jack!!!! Love It.:wink: J.D.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
at pawn shops or small gun shops you can find alot of good guns for roung that price. I would look for a second hand s&w model 10 revolver. 38 sp they were made for years and law enforcement as well as the military carried them. There are alot of good used ones on the market. i picked one up last year for ringt at 200. hard to beat.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would advise you to spend a little more but you can go to most gun shops and find either a new or used .38 revolver for around two hundred. S&W police trades would be a good choice used or Rossi or Taurus revolvers have life time warranties also. If you are not a handgun guy I would stick to a revolver.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Jack,

I just saw a real nice Ruger P89 for $249 today. Had I had the $ I would have bought it. I wish I knew you were looking for one, I could have hooked you up recently.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Not sure what caliber you're looking for...but if you want something that is easy to carry with ya on the river and around town...you might take a peek at a .32 Beretta. I had one for a little while and I picked it up brand new for a couple hundred bucks. Nice and compact, semi-auto, I think the magazine carried 7 rounds if my memory serves me correctly. Easy to conceal and carry.

If not the other fellers gave ya some sound advice and suggestions. Cant go wrong with a .38 revolver that's for sure!

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
My carry gun is a mdl 36 smith 38 sp. Small enough to fit in your pocket.

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bryan I dont have the high point anymore..I really felt uncomfotable a few times fishing alone at night, plus I just want one for protection at home also.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
take a peek at a .32 Beretta. I had one for a little while and I picked it up brand new for a couple hundred bucks.
The prices on those skyrocketed. Now the Tomcats in .22 & .25 are $280, I think the Bobcat .32 is around $325 now. (Do I have those right, is the Tomcat the .22 & .25 or is the Bobcat?)

Jack, lots of people talk highly of the Keltech's. I havent heard any bad reports about them. I think you can get a .32 or .380 for about $260 new. I would also suggest a revolver, but the Ruger P89's are not bad at all.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Check out their web sight!!! This is a protection handgun at its finest!!!
No offense, and please don't take it this way, but a single shot pistol like the Comanche is NOT a good home protection firearm. I usually don't disagree w/ folks liek this, but I'd hate for someone to stake their life or their familes life on a firearm such as this.

Again, please dont take offense at this, but it's something that just isn't a good idea.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Check the local pawn shop for a good .22 mag pistol or Comanche puts out a .410 pistol w/ .45 Long Colt choke as well, so it's actually 2 guns in one. It retails for about $225. .
Again, sorry to voice my disagreement, but Jack is a dear friend if mine and I feel like the suggestions we give him need to be explained.

I am a very big fan of the .22 Mag, however it is not and never was meant to be looked at as a home defense round. I am a 300 # man. If I am breaking in on you and your family (wife & kids) high on PCP, a .22 Mag may kill me.... but it WILL NOT DROP ME (I'm not counting head shots). I do NOT want to trust my life or families lifes on a .22 Mag for a home defense round. There are just too many other caliburs out there, and those are designed for protection. Please understand that again, I am a BIG .22 Mag fan. In fact a .22 LR can be a very underestiamted calibur too. (I sometimes carry as my CC weapon a NAA .22)

I sort of feel bad for even suggesting a Keltech to Jack for home protection, as I feel it would be a bit lacking, but would make a great weapon for him to take w/ him to his fishing spots.

As far as the Comanche goes, refer to my post above. I am speaking from personal experience because I owned a 45 LC/410 Comanche. A fun gun to shoot, but not something that was designed to be used and relied on for a "personal protection" gun.

·
Registered
950 Posts
If you want an auto, then the ruger, even with it's horrendous trigger, can be found for around 225 to 250. For a revolver, I'd suggest a smith, ruger, or a taurus. The newer tauruses are as good as the smiths. Like it was said before, you can get a good smith and wesson in 38 or a 357 with will also shoot the 38s for as low as 200 if you shop around right.

You didn't mention caliber. A 22 would fill the bill for snakes and such. I'm sure you'd want a little more punch for personal protection. Alot of people don't like 9mm, I myself carry a 45 on duty, but that's only because they don't make a 46, LOL. However, whichever caliber you can find in the price range you're looking at, the key is to hit your target where it matters, and not just spraying a bunch of lead at it.

Remember, no one has ever died by standing in too close of a proximity to a loud noise!

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
950 Posts
The prices on those skyrocketed. Now the Tomcats in .22 & .25 are $280, I think the Bobcat .32 is around $325 now. (Do I have those right, is the Tomcat the .22 & .25 or is the Bobcat?)

Jack, lots of people talk highly of the Keltech's. I havent heard any bad reports about them. I think you can get a .32 or .380 for about $260 new. I would also suggest a revolver, but the Ruger P89's are not bad at all.
The Kel Tec is a good little gun. It doesn't really have any sights to speak of if you're trying to pop snakes at any distance, but the're surprisingly accurate if you can get a sight picture. We took a little 32, locked it into a vise, and got 5 inch groups at 75 yards!!!! That's WAY MORE than is needed for a little pocket gun.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.