Need advice on a handgun

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by flathunter, Mar 15, 2008.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Guys I am looking for a hangun for personal and home protection I am not a handgun guy so I need some advice on what to get..This gun will also go fishing with me while out at night..I dont have alot of money to spend could I get anything for around 200 bucks?

2. vtjefferson

vtjefferson New Member

State:
    IA
    Check the local pawn shop for a good .22 mag pistol or Comanche puts out a .410 pistol w/ .45 Long Colt choke as well, so it's actually 2 guns in one. It retails for about $225. .

3. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Look into a Rossi .357 mag. It does the job and not as high dollar as a S&W or a Ruger.

4. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey Jack, I thought Bryan had a few he shot shovel heads with in pay ponds. Maybe you could trade a good fishing spot for one?:big_smile:

5. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John

Your A Kill Jack!!!! Love It.:wink: J.D.

6. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    at pawn shops or small gun shops you can find alot of good guns for roung that price. I would look for a second hand s&w model 10 revolver. 38 sp they were made for years and law enforcement as well as the military carried them. There are alot of good used ones on the market. i picked one up last year for ringt at 200. hard to beat.

7. leupy

leupy New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would advise you to spend a little more but you can go to most gun shops and find either a new or used .38 revolver for around two hundred. S&W police trades would be a good choice used or Rossi or Taurus revolvers have life time warranties also. If you are not a handgun guy I would stick to a revolver.

8. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jack,

I just saw a real nice Ruger P89 for $249 today. Had I had the $ I would have bought it. I wish I knew you were looking for one, I could have hooked you up recently.

9. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Right now Jack has a High Point 45, so he is used to semis a little.

10. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Not sure what caliber you're looking for...but if you want something that is easy to carry with ya on the river and around town...you might take a peek at a .32 Beretta. I had one for a little while and I picked it up brand new for a couple hundred bucks. Nice and compact, semi-auto, I think the magazine carried 7 rounds if my memory serves me correctly. Easy to conceal and carry.

If not the other fellers gave ya some sound advice and suggestions. Cant go wrong with a .38 revolver that's for sure!

11. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I highly recommend a revolver for an entry level handgun. A .357 mag especially. You can shoot very cheap .38 ammo and .357 defensive ammo. It's also the choice of many expert handgun shooters.

12. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    My carry gun is a mdl 36 smith 38 sp. Small enough to fit in your pocket.

13. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Bryan I dont have the high point anymore..I really felt uncomfotable a few times fishing alone at night, plus I just want one for protection at home also.

14. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The prices on those skyrocketed. Now the Tomcats in .22 & .25 are $280, I think the Bobcat .32 is around $325 now. (Do I have those right, is the Tomcat the .22 & .25 or is the Bobcat?)

Jack, lots of people talk highly of the Keltech's. I havent heard any bad reports about them. I think you can get a .32 or .380 for about $260 new. I would also suggest a revolver, but the Ruger P89's are not bad at all.

15. Wally

Wally New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
    Check out their web sight!!! This is a protection handgun at its finest!!!

16. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    No offense, and please don't take it this way, but a single shot pistol like the Comanche is NOT a good home protection firearm. I usually don't disagree w/ folks liek this, but I'd hate for someone to stake their life or their familes life on a firearm such as this.

Again, please dont take offense at this, but it's something that just isn't a good idea.

Attached Files:

17. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Again, sorry to voice my disagreement, but Jack is a dear friend if mine and I feel like the suggestions we give him need to be explained.

I am a very big fan of the .22 Mag, however it is not and never was meant to be looked at as a home defense round. I am a 300 # man. If I am breaking in on you and your family (wife & kids) high on PCP, a .22 Mag may kill me.... but it WILL NOT DROP ME (I'm not counting head shots). I do NOT want to trust my life or families lifes on a .22 Mag for a home defense round. There are just too many other caliburs out there, and those are designed for protection. Please understand that again, I am a BIG .22 Mag fan. In fact a .22 LR can be a very underestiamted calibur too. (I sometimes carry as my CC weapon a NAA .22)

I sort of feel bad for even suggesting a Keltech to Jack for home protection, as I feel it would be a bit lacking, but would make a great weapon for him to take w/ him to his fishing spots.

As far as the Comanche goes, refer to my post above. I am speaking from personal experience because I owned a 45 LC/410 Comanche. A fun gun to shoot, but not something that was designed to be used and relied on for a "personal protection" gun.

18. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    you should check out http://www.auctionarms.com youll need to find a FFL dealer to have the gun shiped to but you can find alot of good prices on there its alot like ebay but there are alot of buy it now options on alot of good handguns

19. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    If you want an auto, then the ruger, even with it's horrendous trigger, can be found for around 225 to 250. For a revolver, I'd suggest a smith, ruger, or a taurus. The newer tauruses are as good as the smiths. Like it was said before, you can get a good smith and wesson in 38 or a 357 with will also shoot the 38s for as low as 200 if you shop around right.

You didn't mention caliber. A 22 would fill the bill for snakes and such. I'm sure you'd want a little more punch for personal protection. Alot of people don't like 9mm, I myself carry a 45 on duty, but that's only because they don't make a 46, LOL. However, whichever caliber you can find in the price range you're looking at, the key is to hit your target where it matters, and not just spraying a bunch of lead at it.

Remember, no one has ever died by standing in too close of a proximity to a loud noise!

Good luck in your search.

20. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The Kel Tec is a good little gun. It doesn't really have any sights to speak of if you're trying to pop snakes at any distance, but the're surprisingly accurate if you can get a sight picture. We took a little 32, locked it into a vise, and got 5 inch groups at 75 yards!!!! That's WAY MORE than is needed for a little pocket gun.