Need advice on a fishfinder/GPS

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by CATCANDO, May 1, 2006.

1. CATCANDO

CATCANDO New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I posted a thread a while back about looking for a new boat well I have one on the way now I ordered a 20ft Seaark River Cat Classic. I need Advice on what fishfinder to get I want one that also has GPS but other than that I have no idea I have never used one much. I have looked at the models at bass pro and cabellas and there are so many that it just gets me overwhelmed. I would like to be in the range of 400-600 but I want to make a purchase that will last A long time and I don't want to wish I would have bought somthing just a little more expensive. The main feature that I like is being able to mark your spots, I know there are a ton of features but I doubt that I will use most of them. Anyway what do you guys use and recomend, also I will fish mainly the missouri river and sometimes Lake of the Ozarks.

Thanks
    Ross

2. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Ross if you don't have to have a color finder the Lowrance LCX-15-MT is the ticket. I have one it has GPS and sonar. If you didn't have to have GPS I might part with my XZ-97. I really like Lowrance equipment and their customer service is the best in the business. If you want a color finder I would go at least to the LCX- 25 or 26. See ya on the water!

3. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I'd look at the Eagle FishElite 640C - it's a new model, has 256 color 640 vertical by 480 horizontal resolution, GPS and all the good stuff. I haven't seen any other color sonar unit with that resolution. Price is right at $600.

I'm just about ready to sell my FishElite 480 and upgrade to this model instead - I want a color display but am otherwise happy with my unit.

Lowrance and Eagle are made in the same factory - the only real difference that I can find is that the Eagle units have less power. But for shallow water fishing like you find around here (almost always less than 50 ft), I really don't believe the extra power makes any difference at all.

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    The site Cuz posted has the lowest prices I've seen unless you know a dealer.Lowrance or Eagle take your pick.Whenever they upgrade the software for a model its available free at their website.I heartily agree with the LCX 15 MC: comments.Might be the best non color unit out there.:smile2:

5. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    Ross i got a LMS332 last year and it is everything i need and more.its color screeen 480x480,gps,5 or 6 inch screen.i bought the optional hot maps chip that ran me about an extra 100 bucks but it turned out to be awesome.you should check one out.i did see one in the bargin cave at cabelas a few weeks ago for around 500 that was in pretty good condition.congrats on your new boat also!:smile2:

6. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I got a Matrix 25 Humminbird that works pretty well. You can buy accessories for it (I have the GPS and when the weather antenna comes down a little, I'll probably get it, too.). It's black and white and the GPS wont' take map chips, but since I'm on the river 99.9% of the time, the maps don't do me much good, anyway. It does, however, save your "tracks", so you can follow your way back to the ramp or your favorite hole in the dark. You can also save your favorite spots with it. Has all the usual speed and distance features, too. It was less than $350 all together. I'm happy with it for the money, but if I was going to fish Truman or somewhere a lot, I'd get a color with the ability to get maps.

7. Chanellocked

Chanellocked New Member

State:
    Lake St. Louis, MO
    Hey Ross, Congrats on the rig. I've only had experience with hummingbird, usually price was my guiding factor. Alot of pros use Lowrance and I've seen a few testimonials here, my next rig will have Lowrance in it. If you get a chance post some pictures of your new rig...Good Luck

8. CATCANDO

CATCANDO New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I ended up going with a lowrance LMS-332c, The boat arrived today they are rigging it as I type and I should have delivery tomarrow or saturday won't be installing the fishfinder untill monday.

9. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Way to go and be sure to post pictures of the boat when you get it home.
    Also on mounting the Depth finder. Find some thick plastic and mount the transducer on that . Then you can move it as many times as you need to and not have any holes below the water line on the new boat. Cabalas and Basspro sells them. But I has a big piece so just cut one for mine.
    Also mine gos from the top to the bottom of the transom. And has 2 bolts on the top.
    Pete