Need advice/ideas on boat mods

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by Jeffery8mm, May 1, 2009.

1. Jeffery8mm

Jeffery8mm New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I recently bought an older 14' Lowe aluminum boat and want to make some changes to it. Here is a pic of a boat just like mine.........
    http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/boa/1116312569.html

What I think I want to do is take out the middle bench seat and put down a carpeted plywood bottom in this area of the boat so as to have a large open area there. Will this have any impact on the strength of the sides of the boat. I dont want to harm the integrity of the boat in any way.
    Any help or info on this project will be appreciated!!

Jeff

With proper care and maintainance, the human body will last a lifetime!

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    It will most definitely reduce the strength of the boat, just to what extent is unknown. Your betting you know more than the engineers who designed the boat. Some improvements would be nice to have, but are they REALLY necessary? Can't you deaden the floor with the middle seat still present? Just may make it a little hard to stand up and maneuver in the boat, but I doubt you should really stand up in a boat of that shape.

3. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    This subject has been visited countless times here, and the average responce is "dont do it, the structural risk is too high". It's best if you want an open floor boat to get one that was designed that way. When modifying a boat you want to make sure not to weaken the integrity of the hull, upset the weight balance of the boat (fore to aft), or the center of gravity (top to bottom). Keep these things in mind and chose your mods wisely. Good luck. WRB

4. cjuvinall

cjuvinall New Member

State:
    georgetown illinois
    exactly what awshucks and wabash river said but also, welcome to boc

5. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Welcome to the BOC. Be careful of the mods you make on a boat.

6. Jeffery8mm

Jeffery8mm New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Thanks guys!! I did do a search and read alot of useful stuff here!!! I may not do the modification after all. I was just thinking it would be nice to have a large open spot in the middle of the boat, but it is by no means neccessary!!
    Jeff

7. fishinnut

fishinnut New Member

State:
    S.C.
    You will always want more room, but you don't want it to be looking like a Taco either, haha, and welcome to the BOC.

8. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Yes, it can be done, but more work is required than just cutting the seat out.

Check out the site I sent ya, Mods are what it is all about.

9. Shimano_cat

Shimano_cat New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I agree with the other brothers. I have a 16" Lowe and put the plywood floor in and left the seat in the middle. I would strongly advise against taking out the seat.

10. BowieKnife357

BowieKnife357 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I kinda wondered that myself when I got a boat like yours. Mine is only a ten footer, but I went ahead and cut the middle seat out of it. What I did to make up for the lack support is cut and weld some 1 inch square tubing together to make braces that ran across the floor, then up the sides. I don't remember the thickness I used (this was about 7 years ago), but I made three of them and pop riveted them in place spaced out evenly across the big wide area I had created and shimmed some wood pieces in where the tubing and aluminum weren't already touching. I smeared bondo on the outside of the boat where I had riveted the braces down, and on the inside I cut and laid down a big piece of plywood for a floor. Honestly it has worked great for me over the years, but then again the only time I use it is on small and calm ponds and lakes, and on small calm rivers. I used to run a lot of trotlines and this boat is perfect for running lines by yourself. I didn't learn until later that the styrofoam I had taken out when I cut the seat out is in there to keep the boat floating if it swamps, so you might want to keep that in mind. I know everyone else is saying don't do it, and I'm not trying to go against what anyone is saying, just letting you know my experience with it is. Yall have fun.