need advice/ help w/ 9.8 merc

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by el-de-saspamco, Apr 16, 2008.

1. el-de-saspamco

el-de-saspamco New Member

State:
    Saspamco,Texas
    Hey everyone,
    I need help with a '75 9.8 merc. I need to find out how to work on the water pump, how to do a tune up, and how to do any other maintenace on this motor. I got it started this morning but only for a few minutes, if water is sussposed to come out from somewhere it didn't. It has a little screw on the side that says 'flush' what does it do? I took it off and found what looks like corrosion in it (like the build up aluminum gets).
    I've asked for help before but didn't get it, it's alot to ask I know, but if someone can help please do.

Rubes

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Rubes, It would do you well to get a manual. That's alot of work you need done.

We could tell you, but it would be so much easier for you to understand it all, if you had a book too.

Bubba went to a gathering and will be back on Monday

3. el-de-saspamco

State:
    Saspamco,Texas
    Thanks for the quick reply, and yes I do agree with you about the book. I just hate spending almost $30.00 on one and maybe even shipping too.

Rubes

4. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i am in same boat and am going to cough up the dough and get the manuel .
    i have a 9.8 as well and it has rotted fuel lines i need to replace and i guess the carb is needing cleaned from what bubbakat has suspected from my description .
    it was serviced last season but sat in shed all winter and acted crazy a couple weekends ago when i tried to start her up .

5. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    10 bucks.... :eek:oooh::crazy::eek:oooh: Are you serious?! That's a good bargain there for sure.

6. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
  7. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    The back right hand corner of the engine bottom housing (Opposite of the tiller) has a small about 1/8 inch hole.Water should come out of this when the engine is running.If it has a thermostat installed water may not come our until it heats up and opens.Insect down south often stop up this hole.They even build up a nest to lay their eggs like a "Dirt Dauber" does.Run a wire up in this to check it out and clean it.This will also plug up in trashy water.You will need a manual to change a water pump.Read it well beforehand.I would also get the Rubber Grommets that you will also need to change.

Word of advice if you do it outside on the back of a boat.Lay a SHEET,yes sheet under it when you break it down.The half moon shaped Woodruff key and such will often fall out and disappear.This is a good idea on many things and why I searched out yard sales,Good Will and such for "my" sheets,towels and blankets.White and light colors preferred.They will last for years,are washable and come in handy on the river at times!Best of all,they keep a mad woman off of you for using HER sheets.I don't know why,but all women firmly believe that they own all towels and sheets in the home.:crazy:

Also.The deposits you saw sound like the motor has been run in "hard" fresh water or salt water as this causes white lime like deposits to build up.If you have any "Black Water" Swamps,rivers or lakes to fish in,the tannic acid in this water will eventually take it out if you run it in it long enough.It did mine when I lived on a Ocean front Sea Island and had such build up in my motors.The tannic acid in "Black Water" does it.

Also.Make sure your motor is mounted with the cavitation plate level with to one inch max BELOW the bottom of your boat.Your water intake on this motor is very high compared to most outboards as it is made to run in very shallow water.The water intake is above the prop and on the underside side of the cavitation plate instead of down on the foot like most other motors.This is to help keep sand out.

Today is the first I saw of any post of you needing help.Sorry.I hope this helps some.Let us know how things work out.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

8. el-de-saspamco

State:
    Saspamco,Texas
  9. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Good idea pee wee. Been ther and done that myself. Old eyes ain't what they used to be.