Need advice for onboard charger

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by Cheez, Jul 29, 2006.

1. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Hey guys I just smoked another battery charger by leaving it out and letting it get rained on. It has now become expensive. I need something a little more idiot proof. The only thing I can come up with is a waterproof onboard charger.
    Any and all advice on this subject will be greatly appreciated.
    What kind to buy,what not to buy etc.

whatever it takes

Cheez

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    John I do think I have smoked a couple like that. I bought my onboard charger at bass pro when they put them on sale. It will charge two batteries and it is a 5x5 and it has a light on it that tells you when it is charging and a green light that tells you when both bateries are fully charged.

It will only charge the batery that needs charging. It doesn't over charge. When I come in and set the trailer down that is the second thing I do is plug it up and leave it alone until I go out again.

I think I paid something like 69 or 79 bucks for it.

3. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I have the same one and it works awesome. Very trouble free and simple to install. I'll never have another boat without an onboard charger in it.

4. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    How long have ya'll had your chargers? I've been told that the BPS chargers are great but only last for 1 to 2 years. I'm tired of buying these things and want one to last a while.

whatever it takes

Cheez

5. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Get a Quest onboard charger.. they are guaranteed waterproof.

Sometimes the stuff on sale is not the best buy.

6. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    The one on my current boat is less than a year old. The one I put on my buddies boat is three years old and still works fine.

The BPS chargers are waterproof as well. They are made by ProMariner who makes good stuff.

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    My BPS charger is going on 4 years and not a lick of trouble from it.

8. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Thanks guys, I'm going to Nashville this weekend for a conference. I'll of course have to go by the BPS there and get the charger.

Thanks again,

Whatever it takes

Cheez

9. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I'm running a MinnKota 2-bank charger in my boat and it seems to work just fine so far. It keeps both trolling motor batteries charged up and ready to go. It's one of the smart chargers that sends excess charging current to the battery that needs it most and then keeps them both topped off forever.

All I know is I plug it in when I get home and then unplug it before I go fishing again and I always have plenty of battery. That's the way this sort of thing is supposed to work.

10. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    I'm still dragging out the little trickle charger and it works fine. What's the story on these BPS systems? Who makes them..and where do you get them? Sounds like you guys have put them to the test. Any info much appreciated.
    Don

11. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Don BPS is bass pro shop. I can't remember what the name of mine is but I will look tomorrow and let you know. It is the best thing I have added to my boat.

12. dg775577

dg775577 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I was in the market for an onboard charger and after reading what you guys had to say about them I got one. I got my boat in June and was surprized what a pain keeping the batteries up was. Went with the Bass Pro 4/4. This is a great accessory for the boat and has made battery mainentence a breeze!

Thanks for the posts guys, on this subject they were what I needed to make a decision.

13. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Well after reading all the responses here and on another forum and researching a little I bought a charger. I got a ProMariner Pro Tournament 100. It is a 10/10 3 stage charger. It equally supplies 10 amps each to 2 batteries at the same time. When one battery gets full it changes to 20 amps to the other. Interstate and Optima both recommend charging with a 3 stage charger. They also recommend that you charge at the rate of 20% of the amp hour rating of your battery. Example: If your battery has an amp rating of 50 amps you charge it at 10 amps. To simplify the 3 stage process it means that the charger starts off slow to get the battery warmed up, kicks in a higher gear so to speak and the tapers off to the maintenance charge. There is actually more technical terms for it but basically that's how it works.This type of charginging is supposed to maximize the life of the battery.

Thanks to all who helped

whatever it takes

Cheez

14. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    I have had an old BatCat 3 onboard charger for several years and it still works great.This unit charges 3 batteries.Not sure if they can still be purchased.I would recommend them to anyone if you can find one.