Need advice for fishing the Missouri River

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by egaumer, Apr 1, 2008.

1. egaumer

egaumer New Member

State:
    missouri
    I HAVE JUST MOVED TO THE BUCKNER AREA FROM IOWA. I FISHED THE DES MONIES RIVER WHEN I WAS YOUNG AND WOULD LIKE TO GET ON THE MISSOURI FOR BIG CATS. I WOULD REAL LIKE ANY ADVISE AVAILABLE

2. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    egaumer..the best advice I can give you is to search the library..it all depends on how much experience you have on the Missouri River..that river is faster than any other river that I have been on and that changes fishing habits. I have fished the Missouri several years here in Missouri and find dike tips, flats below dikes, current breaks, rip rap, and holes are all places you will find on the Missouri and each hold a lot of fish. Being carefull on the river is the most important thing..that at least lets you fish tomorrow.

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Gene. I live in Independence.

4. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Welcome to K.C., if you want to find out together, shoot me a message.

5. adam1886

adam1886 New Member

State:
    higginsville,missouri
    welcome to k.c. i havent fished the river for a couple yrs so im a little rusty on the catching part but like dave says,be careful. watch for the wing dykes.generally they are on the inside of the turns so try to stay towards the middle on the straights and towards the outside of the turns.they can be anywhere though so just keep a watch out for them.and also floating debri,especially when the river is rising

6. egaumer

egaumer New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have a chance to buy a boat from a family member. Its roughly fiffteen feet long and 4 feet wide with a slight v hull with a 50 hp motor. would this be a good starter boat for the river or should i keep to the lakes

7. egaumer

egaumer New Member

State:
    missouri
    I really appreciate the replies and look forward to seeing people on the rivers and lakes

8. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    That boat will work ok ,i have a 17 ft with 25hp not a problem.

9. adam1886

adam1886 New Member

State:
    higginsville,missouri
    that boat would be plenty big for the river.we also started out with a smaller boat and 25 hp engine.50 hp seems like alot for a 15ft boat.that thing aught to fly on the water

10. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    First of all I want to welcome you to the BOC. Also saw a couple of others who answered your question who is fairly new so I'm saying WELCOME to you all also.
    The first thing you want to do on that river is being careful.It don't have no dams to slow it down some like the Missp does. With it being on the rise right now I don't think I'd even think of getting on it right now. If you do JUST BE CAREFUL out there.

11. egaumer

egaumer New Member

State:
    missouri
    I appreciate that every one is concerned for my saftey. I have gone through all fourteen pages of the free member library. I learned alot and wasted paper. can anyone advise me on proper weight in oz., line strenght, and pool lenght. for the missouri. thanks again

12. Jason G

Jason G New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I fish out of the MO river in the Kansas City area and use an 8 oz NO ROLL sinker, I use 50 lb powerline.