Need advice for 8/24 trip to Santee Cooper Lake

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by mifit98, Aug 14, 2007.

1. mifit98

mifit98 New Member

State:
    Morganton, NC
    I have not fished Santee for a couple of years. I'm planning to fish 8/24-26. I'm staying in Charleston and will haul the boat back and forth so I can put in and/or fish at any part of either lake or in the tailrace. I'm targeting blues and/or flatheads with live bait.

If anyone who has current information would advise me on locations, drifting the flats vs. anchoring on the channel edges, daylight vs. night fishing, shallow vs. deep water, current best baits and where to buy them, etc., I would appreciate it.

I'm fishing in a Lund boat with a pretty good bait tank. I grew fishing the lower lake (although that was 50 years ago...OK it was 60 years ago but who's counting). So I know the basics...just would like to have some guidence on current conditions from someone who's reliable and the folks on the BOC are the best source I know of.

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds and I'll let you know how the trip turned out when I get back home.

2. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    mac i have not been in two wks but the lower lake will produce fish any time i whould drift on the ledgs from 20ft to 40ft using herring or shad fresh as posible stay on the lower end towards bonnue or the humps left of marker 9 thrue 4 you will catch fish keep drift speed to .5 use 3ft leders. can put in at atkins he did have bate hope this helps.ron howard

3. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I dont have any recent details for you as far as areas but you really cant go wrong with driftin.Whereever you see fit to drift, drift.If you fished it that long ago then you probably have caught some of those monster channel cats that used to be there.Lets hear some stories about them.I kinda get the impression that not many people fished for em back then. :big_smile:

4. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    You don't hear of anybody catching any big channels anymore. At least I haven't.You know 30+lbs. Wonder what happened?

5. Skipper

Skipper New Member

State:
    S.C.
    You are mighty close to some good saltwater fishing to be driving all the way back to santee to fish. While you are down that way ask some folks about jamestown and where to put in on the santee river. That may very well be worth trying.

6. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Two things happened BLUES and FLATHEADS but mostly blues.