Need advice fishing Santee Cooper Lake newbie

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by kingsofstate, Aug 2, 2007.

1. kingsofstate

kingsofstate New Member

State:
    georgia
    Me and a buddy are going to be fishing santee next weekend. We plan on hitting the diversion channel since that seems to be the safest place for new boaters not to hit any trees. My question is how deep should we be fishing? how far from shore? we plan on trying to drift the entire channel, but if you could narrow down some good spots that would be great! Are there any fish in the channel this time of year? thanks!

ps new to the site, its awsome!

2. kingsofstate

kingsofstate New Member

State:
    georgia
    Also is someone who was experienced wanted to join us for one of the nights that would be great. we dont have the money for a guide, but ill provide the boat! the weekend of the 10th-12tha aug. we plan on fishing at night

3. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    ive done fair drifting in front of harrys at times but the boat traffic was too much for me in that area to drift. at times there is a lot of boats in the canal and drifting between the anchored boats can be tuff. most of the canal has steep banks dropping into 30 ish depth of water. also i get hung up alot drifting in the canal but i have watch folks catch fish in the no wake zone at the bridge drifting with down lines. i would anchor up myself on a ledge and try that. you need current in the canal to get those fish moving ive heard. the lake was down last weekend 2-3 ft. no rain/no current. good luck to ya!

4. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Eddie welcome to the BOC. I would veenture out of the canal cause the water is low and there is no current. Try fishing on some drops near shallow flats anchored at night with cut herring or perch. Also try a couple of live baits on the deep water side for that big flattie.

5. Cat Lady

Cat Lady New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Hello Eddie. We are glad to have you in the BOC family. You will meet a lot of new friends that will be glad to help you with anything that you need. Sorry I'm new at fishing and I can't help you with Santee Cooper, haven't been there yet. Good Luck on your fishing trip.:big_smile:

6. catch & release

catch & release New Member

State:
    SC
    Hey King the above guys gave good advice. Catfish are spread out all over the lake right now. A few nights ago I fished in 25 feet of water drifting, my brother was a few miles from me anchored in 4 feet of water and I had a friend fishing the canal. I talked to them the next day and all 3 boats did about the same (12 or so total fish, with 2-3 in the 15-30 pound range). IF you do go out on either lake, don't go very far unless you have a pretty big boat. Also, be very careful as there are stumps all over these lakes, even some in deep water.

7. The Penn Slammer

The Penn Slammer New Member

State:
    Princeton, West
    Try fishing the edges of the canal with big live bait such as perch or brim in the 4-6 a.m. hours.One of my favorite places is a ledge only 3-6 feet deep this time of year and it seems the big fish feed there daily and leave back to the deeper water during the day only 10 yards from the ledge or shelf I fish on.I do better on giant bait this time of year also.If you fish the lakes use common sense and fish on flats 3-8 feet deep and you will find some blues also.Take notes and you will learn things every time you fish these lakes and it will pay off in the future.Good luck.

8. duc dowg

duc dowg New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Welcome! Where will yall be staying. We are going down this weekend too.

9. Beaufort

Beaufort New Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    If the canal is to crowded I would fish shallow water around bird island just out side of Harry's. Its not to far and u can see the lights from Harry's the whole time and its right beside the river channel so with a good spot light u won't hit many stumps.