Need advice before I purchase trailer

Discussion in 'Boating' started by takirb, Apr 29, 2009.

1. takirb

takirb New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have a Crest 22ft Sport pontoon (johnson 48sp motor). I've found a new trailer for a good price. The guy originally told me that he had several 20fts and 1 24ft available. The price on the 24ft was alot higher than the price he originally quoted me for a 22ft. I told him that was too high for me, and asked when he'd have more 22ft's in stock. He said the 20ft's he has are for 22ft also, but he wouldn't suggest putting a 24ft on there. Does this sound accurate? If i get this trailer, it's a 2.5hr drive to get there, and i just want to check with ya'll before i make the trip. Opinions?

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Terry don't take a shortcut on the trailer. Buy the correct length and axle size recommended for your boat. One to small or to weak could end up costing you big bucks in the future.

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Dont buy without shopping him.
    When you start messing with boats and you act like you got to have something today or quick you might as well tattoo screw me on your forehead.
    It's how I learned to carry spare boat trailer wheel bearings, hubs, tools and tire when I hook to the boat.
    It cost me 200 bucks on a Friday afternoon 5pm at a boat dealership 100 miles from home to replace one 30 dollar hub and bearings on one wheel.

I would imagine the guy wants to sell what he has without having to fork out more capital to get something you want. I don't imagine water toy sales are all that great.

4. takirb

takirb New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks for the advice ya'll! I've made arrangments to purchase a new westco trailer that (per westco) will fit my boat just fine. I'm heading to Lexington (The Boat Exchange) to get it after i leave work today. Nothing like having peace of mind knowing that what i'm getting will fit instead of being a ball of nerves until i try to get the boat out of the water and the trailor's too small. Thanks!

5. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    a 20 foot trailor will tow a 24 foot boat

6. takirb

takirb New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i'd have been fine going with the 1st guy if he wouldn't have contradicted himself when i asked about a trailer for my boat. i picked up a different new trailer tonight. WOW, i'm gonna have to practice backing that thing. Took me 30 min to get it under my carport in the tight squeeze of the road and driveway :( what do others do to prevent theft of the trailer? i have a tight lock on the hitch on the front so far.