Need advice about salem lake

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by striper, May 21, 2006.

1. striper

striper New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i fished salem lake yesterday and i got skunked on the flatheads... since it is a city regulated lake you can only fish til 8pm... 10pm after memorial day on fridays and saturdays... i did manage to get 3 nice channel cats... 7,10 and 12lbs.. all on fresh cutbait... i was using live brim and white perch for the flatheads and cut brim.. i got the channels on cut brim... the lake is like a frying pan... a straight 20' bottom and then about 20' from the bank it comes up about a foot per foot. 20' off the bank it is 20'. 10' off the bank it is 10'. and so on... i didn't read alot of structure in the lake.. the only structure is on the bank... alot of fallen trees.... how is the best way to locate the flatheads with regularity.. i fished about 5 different spots and i finally got the channels at the last spot... anuy help would be great.....

thanks ed

2. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    striper i would maybe look on the upper end of the lake for them right now. the flats make there spawn run this time of year. i dont know the lake your fishing but i would try that area. sometimes in a lake with very little structure, the least little thing can make a big difference. maybe find a little something along the edges of that frying pan. i hear alot of folks talking about trees and things for structure but i seem to do best around rocks myself. it does make it tuff when you got to fish someone elses times but it can be rewarding thats for sure.

3. Tarheel

Tarheel New Member

State:
    NC
    What was the water temp on Salem lake? Flats spawn up river at 75 - 80 degrees. I know High Rock is less than that, but if memory serves me, salem lake will get warmer faster. If it is 75 degrees or more, move up river like carfishrus suggested...... If they haven't spawned yes, they will start thinking hard about it this next week as temps hit the mid 80s.

4. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    with very litle structure drifting may work......really wouldnt want to drift bream but drifting shiners behind gapen baitwalkers may work for flatties......i would rather use bream or crappie for bait but you can drift better with shiners..drifting is better suited for cutbait but a flathead will hit cutbait if its hungry or right in front of them..........also 2 of my biggest flatheads hit shiners..mack

5. striper

striper New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i don't know what the water temp is. i have an old fish finder without temp. i hope to upgrade soon, but for now i can tell if there is structure and bottom and fish... from what i saw on the lake, there is no up river, it looks like a stand alone lake... but it looks like they have strings of airators in the lake to keep it oxygenated in the summer... max depth is about 20'... drifting will work for flatheads???? there is lots of bait all over the lake.. and lots of crappie and bream...

thanks again and i appreciate all the information

ed

6. Tarheel

Tarheel New Member

State:
    NC
    Go straight out from the launch and nudge just a little to your left. That is where the creek comes in and you can actually go pretty far back with wide and deep water...... (100 ft wide and 10 feet deep)