Need a weight check on 28" Carp

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by kyron4, Jul 29, 2007.

1. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hello, caught a 28" Carp today, scales read 12 lbs. but this a cheap spring scale. Does 12 lbs. sound about right ? -Thanks

2. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    That's a nice carp! 12 pounds should be just about right for it.

Carp are generally wasted by most fishermen. They really do make pretty good table fare.:big_smile:

Carefully filet it and try to remove the lateral blood line all the way to the skin. That will remove a line of small bones that radiate from the spine horizontally to the skin.

Since carp has little flavor of it's own, I always marinate it with BBQ, teriaki, or good dark beer overnignt, then grill or smoke it over charcoals. Folks that don't know what they're eating will swear it's bass or large panfish.:confused2:

Carp can also be breaded in your conventional mixture and fried golden brown, but the flavor (or lack of flavor) can be disappointing. Serve it with Louisiana Hot Sauce and strongly flavored veggies.

3. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks, I plugged the length and girth into a online carp calculator and came up with 12 1/2 lbs. I took a photo and let him go to cacth another day. Took him on 8# test line on a 6' med. Ugly Stik. Took awhile to get him in, had to tire him without letting him drag my line over the rocks.
    A "Carp Man" is born :smile2:

4. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Those fish will definitely give you a run for the money, lite outfit and a box of wheat flakes, have spent many afternoon doing that.....What a Blast! and yes they are great smoked! Nice fish!

5. iam2hi2flyinky

iam2hi2flyinky New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i kept catching these things by accident and was fun so now im trying to get them by trying lol good luck on getting somemore of them