Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so my Shimano Cardiff 401a is seeing its end of days. Spool tension is shot and honestly just too finicky of a reel. Instead of fixing right now I am thinking of just getting a whole new setup, but a spinning setup this time since I already have another baitcast setup. This will be for big cats and lake sturgeon. I am looking at the MadKatz Ghost Spinning in Medium for a rod, but I am unsure of a reel. I would like the color to match if possible with white/black(stupid i know). If not thats okay too. The penn Fierce reels seem to just get enormous after the 4000 series. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Premium Member
If your fishing for BIG cats and sturgeon, you probably need a BIG reel. But the term big is a relative term. What size cats and sturgeon are in the waters you fish. id your looking at 30 pounders and above, I would think a 6000 size would be your minimum option. An 8000 would better fit 30 pounders and above.

Now I am not a spinning reel guy although I have several. This is just what I think you might need.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If your fishing for BIG cats and sturgeon, you probably need a BIG reel. But the term big is a relative term. What size cats and sturgeon are in the waters you fish. id your looking at 30 pounders and above, I would think a 6000 size would be your minimum option. An 8000 would better fit 30 pounders and above.

Now I am not a spinning reel guy although I have several. This is just what I think you might need.
I feel ya, I was thinking something the size of the catmaxx spinning reel. I could just go with the catmaxx spinning but figured I would see what else is out there or if any liveliners would be decent for it.

Registered
The Kastking Megatron 6000 would look good on the White Ghost and with 39.5lbs of drag, I don't think you'd have any problems with any fish you'd come across. If the 4000 is too small and the 6000 is too big, they have a 5000 to meet you in between.

Registered
Penn Pursuit would match color wise.
That's the thing about spinning reels there big if they hold any amount of line.
Those pursuits are the best reel in that price range imo...I got 3 of them (6000 and 8000 sized) that've been used for everything from tossing crab snares, fishing lingcod in the salt, sturgeon in the Columbia, plunking for kings back in WA...since I moved here I've used them snagging and fishing cats in the Mississippi...I've tried to break them but I've failed on that pretty hard 馃槀馃槀馃槀

If they ever make a pursuit live liner...they'd be the only spinning reel I bought...

Registered
Just a guess but seeing as he's throwing in sturgeon also I sort of doubt he can get to big a reel. Similar problem when getting a catfish reel. You looking to catch up to maybe 10 or so pound fish or you going after 50+ pounders. Then fishing for eater's and stumbling into a 50 pounder, you just might wish you had bigger tackle! Biggest sturgeon I've caught was about 34", only been one time. But in the same river they have caught some about 1000 pounds so report's say. Your Mitchell 300 is gonna get trashed if you run into one of them. if it were me I'd try to figure out what I wanted to catch and rig for it. Think I would set that up with the line and leader weight I'd use. My sturgeon rod has 80# braid on it, don't recall what I used for leader. But I don't generally fish for big fish, mostly eaters. The reel is a very heavy Ocuma casting reel and the rod is very heavy casting. Knowing what I learned on that trip, I could just use my ABU 6500 and lighter line and if got compromised by some huge fish, look to break it off! My sturgeon rod set up would probably have handled what ever I'd have hooked if I wanted to fight it an hour or so. On the fish I was catching, the rod and reel set up greatly out matched them. Get a bite and simply winch it in. but that would be a problem with fish like cats and sturgeon, the size ranges from a few pounds to maybe over one hundred, maybe much more with sturgeon! I think to get the most out of it match the equipment to the fish you want to target and either skip the eater's or the giants.

Registered
My cat maxx is going into season number 4 and no issues for me. Haven鈥檛 hooked anything abouve a 15 lb channel on it but that鈥檚 on me not the reel 馃槴

Registered
I would ,look at two reel. A Diawa BG or the newer saltwater Mitchells. I got both and both and no complaints. I have them 8' rods I use for floats rigs.

Registered
Ron from Northwest Texas
Daiwa BG's are my go to hands down,I've found no better quality spinning reels til you get into the $300 and up versions...................I have the 4500,great for eaters but can handle toads,the 5000,slightly larger than the 4500 and my choice for cats to 40.My beast is the 6500(compares in size to other brands 8000's),this ones for serious sized fish.They also make an 8000 but I personally have not used it.

I purchase my gear mainly through Shark River Mail Order,best BG prices I have found.$109 for the 4500 and 5000,$119 for the 6500 and 8000.Free shipping and no tax...........anyone runs across a better deal than that please give me a heads up,getting ready to purchase a couple for the grandsons.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts