Need a rod

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by fisherman94580, Feb 13, 2007.

1. fisherman94580

fisherman94580 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'm looking for a rod. I'm looking at the catmaxx 7.6 footer, and the berkley glowstick 10 footer. I need them to be able to cast a 5 oz. weight with a nice chunk of bait, and they are rated for up to 5 oz. But I want it to have a sensitive tip so I can see the small bites. I'll be fishing in the Ohio River from the bank. Which one would you recomend? Or would you recomend something else? I want to keep it under $50. Thanks in advance

2. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    ugly stick tiger.$55.00

3. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    ugly stik tiger, big game, or catfish rods....

4. bsu_catfisher

bsu_catfisher New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, Indiana
    I would sugest spending a little bit more and getting the ugly stick tiger.

5. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Check out the tigers, you won't be disappointed. The cattmaxx rods are THICK, my bud fishes with them... very very stiff rods. Tigers have a live bait tip... shows more action if like watching your rod tips.

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I would get a heavy action rod, for throwing that kind of weight. Like the Ugly Stick Tiger.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I'm sure the Ugly Sticks are good rods, but the 'unbreakable' tip broke off the only one I've ever owned. I really like my Quantum Big Cat. You'd probably do better casting with the heavy model, rather than the medium.

8. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I have no firsthand knowledge about the Tiger rods. I have seen the CatMaxx rods and held one. Very sturdy, tip is not soft, but is doable. I don't think you can break one unless you set out to do it. I have many friends on here that live and die by the Tiger Stik. I just haven't had the chance to toss one yet. Those guys swear by them and I trust their judgement. Overall you'll get more "YEA" votes for the Tiger. All these guys can't be wrong, right? Save some time and hassle and aggravation and get the Tiger.

9. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    I just got a tiger for christmas. I haven't had a chance to test it on the water yet, but am extremely impressed. The on I have is a medium action. It has an incredible backbone, and a nice sensitive tip. Shortly I'm going to invest in a medium/heavy tiger.

10. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    how about the wildcat series
    spinning-WC-KCS102H
    baitcasting-WC-KCC10H
    both of these retail for roughly 30 dollars

11. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother Arron;
    I've not personally tested the Catmaxx rod and I have heard, from several of the Brothers and Sisters, that the Berkley Glow Stik's can be trouble to keep working!
    My advice is to listen to the Brothers and Sisters that have already posted to you and GO WITH THE SHAKESPEARE! I own several of them and I truly believe them to be the "Best Bang For The Buck"
    I know a lot of the Brother's and Sister's have made several posts about the "Ugly Stiks" and I've yet to see anyone say anything negative about them! Especially when they preform better than more expensive rods!
    I can honestly say that if I was to hook up a new World Record 125#+ Blue that I would have every confidence that one of my Shakespeare Ugly Stiks would do just as well as my several hundred dollar custom rod. As a matter of fact, it's my considered opinion that the custom rod was wasted money!:wink:
    I hope this helps you out some.:smile2:
    Fraternally and Sincerely,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]