Need a reel for my rod...

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by tritonvt, Jan 24, 2006.

1. tritonvt

tritonvt New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Hey all, I need some help find a new reel for my rod. I bought a catfish setup at wally world last summer.

Rod - Ugly Stik CATFISH 8' MH
    Reel - Synergy Steel 4003S

I bought this combo because of the casting...I saw my father-in-law cast his 50 yards (he's new to fishing) and knew I could go way past that...so I bought one and loved it. I also took it pier fishing this summer too. It worked great, on nearly every cast I spooled the reel (85 yards)...which isn't so good, but we were only fishing for small stuff. Anyways I tried cleaning it but the thing is impossible to open up. Now the anti-reverse has quit working - it reels both way now regardless of if it is set to on or off.

So my back to my question - what would be a good quality reel to get that will cast 85-100 yards and something that can be used for fresh and saltwater? Any help would be appeciated.

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Try a baitcasting reel on that rod, it will do great, most walmart sells the ABU 6000 reel for 59 bucks.

3. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I'm with flathunter on this one.

4. DaveR

DaveR New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    I also agree with the Abu 6000 or for about $10 more maybe a 6500. Good luck with your searh.

Dave

5. Vacatfisher

Vacatfisher New Member

levelwind abus can cast over 150 yards out the box...in the right hands..

6. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    im with the others on the abu's, but if you want to stay with a spinning i'd go with Shimanos. i havent bought a spinning reel in quite a while but i know they used to be the best value for a good reel. Pflueger and pinnacle make good reels too that dont cost very much.

7. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Abu 6000 or 6500 for the cost conscious and shimano calcutta if you want to spend the money. If your going to get a spinning reel I would also say Shimano Baitrunner. With fishing off a pier I would look at the line capacity of the reels as well.

8. tritonvt

tritonvt New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks everyone for the replies. It seems the concensus is Abu Garcia 6000. I took some time today and tore apart the Synergy Steel. I saw some posts on the old boards about not being able to get these open. If your stilling wondering...take the single screw off the back cover and turn it about one half to an inch to the left. Then pull it off. It's stuck on good. After fooling with it a couple hours I fixed the anti-reverse and drag problems, but looking at the guts of this thing made me realize why it was so cheap. I'll definitely be upgrading to an Abu Garcia...

Once again thanks everyone...

9. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I hope you're satisfied with your new choice

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    For that rod, I would get a Abu 6000. or a baitrunner spinning reels.