Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Should I get the Abu Garcia Ambassador 7000ICS or a different reel?

• Yes (7000ICS)

Votes: 15 30.6%
  • No get another reel (Please comment which one)

Votes: 10 20.4%
  • Penn squall

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • Penn fathom

Votes: 18 36.7%
  • Shimano baitrunner d (BTR12000D)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shimano Thunnus CI4 (TU12000CI4)

Votes: 2 4.1%

Need a reel for a 140+ pound fish!

20K views 140 replies 38 participants last post by  atchafalaya 
#1 ·
I am looking to start back flathead fishing but don't want to catch the small ones, I want to have a reel that is very universal. For instance I want to be able to break the state record here in Eastern North Carolina which is currently 78 lbs., as well as breaking the world record blue catfish on which is 143 lbs., or go to saltwater with it and catch fish as well.

Any thoughts,ideas, or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Blake

#2 ·
Abu 7000 is capable of handling the job but wouldn't be my first choice if your seriously planning to target 100+ pound fish. I'm a fan of avet reels, an avet mxl is roughly the same size as an abu 7000 series but built alot stronger. But they are also non levelwind and lever not star drag so not sure if that's your cup of tea.

Good luck with your quest...

#5 ·
Blake:

You are definitely in big-cat as well as prime saltwater fishing territory and I am envious.

A few questions:

What is your budget?

Will you be fishing more for flatheads, blues or in the ocean?

What kinds of rods are you looking at?

The problem with fishing for "trophy" catfish is that the fish doesn't know that you are targeting only the biggest of the big so many times a tiny bait ends up catching a whopper and a lively one pound live bait ( reserved for giants ) is taken by a 20 pound fish.

Also...you never know when the next world record catfish decides to pick up a nightcrawler while you are going after eater-size channels with 10 pound test on a medium spinning outfit.

Now...if you know where a monster flathead hangs out, a two pound carp for bait and a saltwater outfit with 100 pound braid may be just the ticket...but...the nights you show up there to fish...may be the nights the catfish isn't hungry...so no bite.

Open-water blues could hit a teeny piece of cutbait or a whole 14" shad and that means you may have a chance at that 140 pound world record or a mere 2 pounder or...anything in between so any size outfit could be used.

The problem is...you just don't know when that fish-of-lifetime is going to hit and you sure don't want to be under-geared but...on the other hand...you don't want to be over-geared.

if you are sitting there with a heavy saltwater rig and huge bait and get no bites...at all...night after night...frustration is going to set in and your once-prized gear is on E-bay or the Buy-and Sell Forum.

My advice is to buy the best you can afford and catch some fish.

Many a 50 pound catfish has been landed on medium heavy tackle but a giant may spool you?

You just can't predict that.

Having said all that...there is safe middle ground....not too heavy...not too light...for a fishing outfit

I would not go for the Abu 7000 ( even though I own them ) but a Siegler SG and you would have your bases covered for light-duty salt and heavy-duty freshwater fishing...all for only $275.00.

As to rods...here are so available that you could use with this reel but I would go with a local company...Big Cat Fever Heavy Action Rod.

Best of luck and catch some fish,

Lee

#7 ·
Lee:

The Budget I am not really worried about more of having good quality gear. I will fish more flatheads on a normal basis, but I want to be able to fish for blues or in saltwater with this reel.

I have been looking at heavy action Big Cat Fever rods but haven’t really researched any rods in depth yet. I am okay with changing my line, and rod to target a saltwater fish. But for catching the monster cats is what I would prefer to set my rod, reel, and line up with first.

I am okay with being over geared in the understanding of the small catfish (10 lbs.) hits the line and it’s not really a fight to get him in the boat. But what I will have a hard time with is when the monster hits and my gear is not right for the fish I really want to catch.

I like the Penn Fathom but does it have a line alarm? Whats the equivalent to the Penn Fathom with a line alarm and a line counter?

Also would like this reel to have a bait clicker (line alarm), and a line counter. The line counter isn’t a deal breaker but I believe it would be nice.

#9 ·
Lee:

The Budget I am not really worried about more of having good quality gear. I will fish more flatheads on a normal basis, but I want to be able to fish for blues or in saltwater with this reel.

I have been looking at heavy action Big Cat Fever rods but haven’t really researched any rods in depth yet. I am okay with changing my line, and rod to target a saltwater fish. But for catching the monster cats is what I would prefer to set my rod, reel, and line up with first.

I am okay with being over geared in the understanding of the small catfish (10 lbs.) hits the line and it’s not really a fight to get him in the boat. But what I will have a hard time with is when the monster hits and my gear is not right for the fish I really want to catch.

I like the Penn Fathom but does it have a line alarm? Whats the equivalent to the Penn Fathom with a line alarm and a line counter?

Also would like this reel to have a bait clicker (line alarm), and a line counter. The line counter isn’t a deal breaker but I believe it would be nice.
Blake:

What gear are you using now and what problems have you found?

There are a number of options available so I would suggest visiting a well-stocked retailer
( especially one with saltwater fishing tackle ) and try some rods and reels for yourself.

I have one of the newer Abu C3 7000 models and it is an excellent reel and would probably do the job for 90 % of the fishing you would encounter and I consider it alot of reel for as low as $124.00 and is your best bargain for a large levelwind baitcaster ( not a trolling reel ) and will hold plenty of 80 pound braid or 30 pound mono.

Me personally...I like the new generation of smaller but incredibly-powerful, low-profile reels that are using stainless steel for gears and other internal parts and are designed saltwater-tough.

If I lived in your part of the country...I would be seriously looking at a 10000/12000 size saltwater spinning reel with a baitfeeder feature which could handle blues, flatheads and saltwater fishing.

Good luck with your search.

#11 ·
Lee:

I don’t have any gear right now that will hold a fish of a big size. I do have an old Penn Peer 309 level wind that is my dad’s god only knows how old it is! I have spooled it with 80lb. braid and would love to catch anything on it, but I haven’t yet.

It’s the worst throwing reel I have ever had in my life. My co-worker told me it’s not really a throwing reel more of a drop it beside the boat sort of reel.

I didn’t even know dragging or trolling was an option for catfish until I had seen someone do it on youtube that would be different and would like to try it with this new reel.

My co-worker I work with told me the same thing today if I want a versatile reel and a something good to throw to get a Spinning Reel. He recommended a Shimano Thunnus CI4 or a Shimano Baitrunner D he swears to me it will handle a 140lb. fish. He does a lot of saltwater peer and kayak fishing. I like the idea of the spinning reel but have doubts about it holding a fish that big. Any thoughts on spinning vs. baitcaster?

#17 ·
This would be my choice, get a Fathom 30 nonlevelwind and spool it with the most 65lb to 80lb braid you can.

My other choice, get a Slammer 8500, load it with 65lb to 80lb braid, which is what I did.

Either reel will handle any catfish in the world and you will be unlikely to find yourself for want in saltwater.

I can use as heavy a main line and as powerful a reel as I want, without over powering a fish, simply by adjusting the leader strength.

#19 ·
The benifit of a god spinning reel vs a conventional reel is the drag power. You can work with smaller line capacity when fishing higher drag settings, which is possible with a good spinner. Cranking speed is also much higher, which is quite benifical when trying to crank bait in from a distance.

Conventionals are lighter, usually have higher line xapacities for weight, but you will have a lower drag rating meaning that when saltwater fishing, the extra line capacity will be needed, you also ebd up with more cranking power.

#21 ·
Surfcat:

I will mostly be using this reel for flatheads and blues. However saltwater I want to be able to change my rod and line and go after a Cobia, or the biggest and hardest fighting fish while peer fishing. It would be nice to catch something around 300 lbs. but not going to target that everyday.

I would be a deal breaker for me if the reel didn't have some type of line alarm. I would like a line counter on it as well.

What exactly am I looking for in a reel to catch a 140+ pound fish? Also level wind vs non level wind what is the casting length distance approximately? Whats a good reel that's non level wind with a line alarm and a line counter?

#24 ·
I think a Fathom 15nlw would be one of your best options then. It would handle any blue cat or flathead as well as any cobia.

Load it with 300yds of 50lb braid. It makes an excellent surf reel with a very fast spinning spool that will give you plenty of casting distance.

People use Abus in saltwater all the time, so I guess they are sw rated.

#25 ·
Here are a couple of reels that would meet your requirements and also have line counters and an aluminum frame. Shimano Tekota 600LC, Older Okuma Catalina 30D. With a graphite frame it would be a Penn Squall 20LC and an Okuma Convector 30D or a Coldwater 303D. All of the above have dual anti reverse also. My 1st choice would be a Penn Fathom FTH 20 or 25. Personally, I wouldn't be afraid to take on a 140lb cat with an Abu 7000i at all. Good luck on your search.

#26 ·
Which ever reel you decide on, as soon as you finish fishing with it in salt water or when you know it got saltwater on or in it, rinse it well with fresh water. Salt water will be terribly corrosive to metal parts in any reels. The longer that salt water in in contact with the parts the more damage it does.

#28 ·
There are also other things to consider if you are going non levelwind. both the Fathom and the Squall have different gear ratios than the levelwind models. make sure you factor that in your decision beforehand. I have both models in levelwind and like them. I have no experience with those 2 models of non levelwinds but I believe Surfcat does. Maybe he will chime in again.

#29 ·
I have also noticed this when looking at different reels. I have alot of bass reels that are baitcasters with levelwind.

My co-worker tells me when pier fishing I may need more casting distance to and to get non level wind.

My thing is without it I havent seen a line counter on a reel which sucks quite frankly to me.

#31 ·
It would seem to me that a line couter would kinda defeat the purpose of non level wind by adding friction to the cast
Probably wont find one on a non level wind
Agreed.

I might be wrong, but line counter reels for catfish are primarily used only for back bouncing. Others might know more. But, typically line counters are trolling only reels, not something you want to be casting with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.