The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

Should I get the Abu Garcia Ambassador 7000ICS or a different reel?

• Yes (7000ICS)

Votes: 14 31.1%
  • No get another reel (Please comment which one)

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • Penn squall

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • Penn fathom

Votes: 17 37.8%
  • Shimano baitrunner d (BTR12000D)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shimano Thunnus CI4 (TU12000CI4)

Votes: 1 2.2%
121 - 140 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
I believe it was in reference to Mr. Honeycutt's musings on firearms.

Reactions: cat seeker 374

·
Banned
1,666 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen one other'n photos, but sometimes, a 16 isn't big enough. This guy nearly got spooled!
Yeah, a 1000lb plus shark will smoke just about anything.

Spectra and twin drag lever drags 80W and up have made a big difference in improving a fisherman's odds vs those older Penn Senators.

·
Banned
1,666 Posts
What I would love to see would be a Penn US Senator 110.

If Penn came out with such a thing I would jump all over it as it would make an awesome big catfish reel without being overly bulky.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Is that a Penn Senator 6/0 or 9/0?

Either way that is a big reel and I bet you got the reel at a really good price.
All I could find on the reel sideplate was 114H . A couple bought out a storage unit and a bunch of fishing gear was in it . There was about $300 worth of rods , reels , heaters , rod holders , nice boat deck chair , and ice fishing gear and related items . My problem was , 80% of the gear was repeat of gear I already had . So I made an offer on the rod & reel , chair and rod holders for $40.00 . They were happy and so was I . Now grandma has a nice armchair when I get her out on the pontoon ! LOL !

·
Banned
1,666 Posts
All I could find on the reel sideplate was 114H . A couple bought out a storage unit and a bunch of fishing gear was in it . There was about $300 worth of rods , reels , heaters , rod holders , nice boat deck chair , and ice fishing gear and related items . My problem was , 80% of the gear was repeat of gear I already had . So I made an offer on the rod & reel , chair and rod holders for $40.00 . They were happy and so was I . Now grandma has a nice armchair when I get her out on the pontoon ! LOL !
Ok, yeah that is a 6/0.

Spool it up and go do some shark fishing.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Yeah, a 1000lb plus shark will smoke just about anything.

Spectra and twin drag lever drags 80W and up have made a big difference in improving a fisherman's odds vs those older Penn Senators.
Yea even the big senators only had 30-40 pounds of drag..
It’s not unusual to see reels with 80-100 pounds of drag now

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m gonna make my bid on the vintage made in Sweden Abu 7000C3. Apart from sturgeon, there isn’t a freshwater fish in North America they won’t be able to bring in comfortably. And the durability is definitely there! I have specialized in modifying and servicing Swedish 7000/7500’s for quite a while now, and I believe I’m achieving better than new from factory results.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I’m gonna make my bid on the vintage made in Sweden Abu 7000C3. Apart from sturgeon, there isn’t a freshwater fish in North America they won’t be able to bring in comfortably. And the durability is definitely there! I have specialized in modifying and servicing Swedish 7000/7500’s for quite a while now, and I believe I’m achieving better than new from factory results.
BETTER LATE THEN NEVER, SAW THIS POST AND HAD TO SPEAK UP FOR THE OLD USA MADE PENN 505 OR 500 JIGMASTERS.
weighs 2 oz more thin the abu 7000 has larger drag and the 505 is a 5:1 ,tuff as nails .
this reel is a conventional and cast very well, a single screw take down for cleaning and built like a tank.
after market bearings at boca bearings has made mu jigmasters cast like crazy.
can buy these penns on ebay for 50 60 bucks and a set of bearings about 35 and you have a reel that will never let you down.

121 - 140 of 140 Posts