The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

Should I get the Abu Garcia Ambassador 7000ICS or a different reel?

• Yes (7000ICS)

Votes: 14 31.1%
  • No get another reel (Please comment which one)

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • Penn squall

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • Penn fathom

Votes: 17 37.8%
  • Shimano baitrunner d (BTR12000D)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shimano Thunnus CI4 (TU12000CI4)

Votes: 1 2.2%
81 - 100 of 140 Posts

Registered
I use 9 Avets. I got a couple of the MXL's and MXJ's that I use for carp and channel fishing. They got plenty of line capacity but I prefer the JX's for flatheads for the increase in drag pressure.
I just bought an AVET MXL and for it's size and weight it is a super powerful reel. Non Level Wind is taking some getting used to, but hasn't caused any issues. The lever drag is something I really like. Plus it's built for salt water, so it should last a long time on fresh water.

Registered
I am totally sorry guys! I posted that wrong. When I looked at my Fathom, I noticed it says 380yds of 65lb. Braid. And NOT 470yds of 65lb. Braid like I stated.

I got a little ahead of myself there. I believe it's the Spinfisher 8500 that holds 470yds of 65.

Registered
I am looking to start back flathead fishing but don't want to catch the small ones, I want to have a reel that is very universal. For instance I want to be able to break the state record here in Eastern North Carolina which is currently 78 lbs., as well as breaking the world record blue catfish on which is 143 lbs., or go to saltwater with it and catch fish as well.

Any thoughts,ideas, or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Blake

That is some serious fishing! I've never tried to catch a Blue that big. I use 50lb test for my fishing...lol Ever watch River Monsters with Jeremy Wade? His website has all that info. He uses big reels and heavy line, and almost always uses cut bait

Registered
Discussion Starter #90
I got tired of waiting and saving money so heres my first setup.

I got a HIGH TIDE 8000 model spinning reel from bass pro shops has 44 pounds pf drag on the front and 11 pounds of drag for live bait on the rear.

Went to Cabela's and bought the Rippin Lips 8' heavy action rod and spooled it with 50lb. Stren I had in my tackle box, but going to spool it with 300 yards of 50lb. Sufix advanced 832. Then put an 80lb. mono shock leader thats Berkley big game.

If the rod breaks so what ill only be out 38 bucks. I'm still saving for the big cat fever.

Also 6 ounces of weight I can cast about 50 yards on this rod.

Here is a few photos with some reviews of the rod.

Attachments

Banned
Penn Fathom 25lw.
TWC Extreme.

Simple.

This.....

This is a solid set up....

You should be able to catch anything in freshwater with this rig.....yeah even sturgeons......

It really comes down to you....are you capable of bringing it in......

I have caught some big fish......but are you ready to bring them in.....it's hard....it is not easy to land a monster.....

Banned
I guess people do not like playing and fighting fish.....just lock it down and winch them in.....

I fish at one little nearby lake with one rod and 6 pound test and I catch all sort of things....it's fun

yeah I have beast slayer rods and reels....but not always needed.

I have landed some whoppers on 6 pound test.....it takes skill to do that.

Premium Member
6 lb test wont even cast the sinkers I have to use LOL. If you fish lakes, you can get by on alot less. My gear would be alot slimmer if i didnt have the combination of current and deep water to deal with. Im happy with the gear i have now for large catfish. Right now i have two 30 convectors, 2 fathoms and a squall all 15s. Havnt felt undergunned yet, but 70-80 lbs is the largest so far. The 15 fathoms handled everything fine, drag is smooth. No complaints.
The biggest thing is getting a giant on the other end of the line..... they dont come often

Registered
I fish Lake Ozark and Truman Lake now and below bagnell dam in the mid 60's and mid 70's was in Navy 69 -73 and I know there are big cats in all 3 bodies of water and I fish with Warrior Cat Rods have an abu 6500 C3 Silver made in Sweden and an Abu 6500 Red made in Sweden and a Okuma Convector 20 level wind spooled with 20 lb Ande Monster and 40 Ande prem. leader. Set the drag right and I can catch anything that swims. If I get broke off then more than likely it is mine own fault.

Registered
Well I catch monster blue gill only using two pound test line. It takes super human skill to do that lol

In all seriousness though. To fish big river you need big gear. To fish lakes you still need tough equipment. To fish ponds and small lakes you can catch a lot of different things with six pound test.

I like the feel of a fight. Most of the time I am targeting big channels with small line. If I am going for anything over 20 as I do often as well then I am using a reel with bigger line. I love the fight but will use something suffecient enough to bring them in. Don't care how big of gear or drags you got when it comes to truly huge cats. You try to winch them in and something is going to break. It takes skill to get them in and when I am in a big river like the Missouri. You won't see me using anything smaller than a 7000 sized reel. In a pond or a lake you can get by with six pound test catching all sorts of fish. Those big bruizer cats that most of us go for on river or lake doesn't happen with that small of a line and beleive me when I say this. There are a lot of very good and very good anglers here.

I catch a lot of big bass, a few cats and lots of crappie using 4 to 6 pound line. But to go out and target trophy cats with six pound line would not be the smartest thing to do.

Registered
This.....

This is a solid set up....

You should be able to catch anything in freshwater with this rig.....yeah even sturgeons......

It really comes down to you....are you capable of bringing it in......

I have caught some big fish......but are you ready to bring them in.....it's hard....it is not easy to land a monster.....
This sounds like a "Challenge" Damien?

Like we're at the OK Corral. So, "are you ready" punk?! Then pull your reels out!

Lol! Just kiddin.

Yeah, I hope I can one day get the chance to tell ya what a Huge monster will feel like on that combo.

Registered
Then forget everything and buy a penn international vsx... End of discussion. :biggrin1:

As for mentioning the baitrunner d's they will handle big fish, but they come in BIG sizes in order to do that. In my opinion they can get a little cumbersome when a much smaller conventional reel will handle the same job. But if you're more confident and comfortable with a spinning reel then yes they can absolutely handle the job. One of my old shark surf fishing reels was a shimano baitrunner B model. It handled a few sharks over 100 pounds and alot of massive rays.

The halibut seen here was caught on a Penn Senator, for the money ANY reel in the Senator series will work on ANY catfish that swims the North American continent...I know, this isnt a catfish but they sure fight like one when you catch them of comparable size. I am the guy on the left..This fish weight almost exactly #140 lbs...I have caught them over 200lbs on you guessed it....They are cheap, easy to work on, bullet proof, simple to operate, durable...IMHO Penn Senator series are to reels as Ugly Stiks are to rods...

Attachments

Registered
Awesome Catch Jerry!!! And thanks for sharing that about the Senators. That was a great comparison between the Senators and the Ugly Stiks.

I can't even imagine reeling in a fish that big with that body shape. It probably uses that flat side to create some strong resistance.

Registered
Awesome Catch Jerry!!! And thanks for sharing that about the Senators. That was a great comparison between the Senators and the Ugly Stiks.

I can't even imagine reeling in a fish that big with that body shape. It probably uses that flat side to create some strong resistance.
Hi Ray,

Thanks for the note, yeah, they are like giant flounder, they start life swimming horizontally like a normal fish. As they mature they slowly transition over to the flat fish that look like giant flounder, aka Pacific Halibut. Without a doubt the best tasting salt water fish there is. We were doing "Fisheries" law enforcement somewhere in the Gulf of Alaska when the captain decided to give us a break to do some fishing, Our CO at the time, Commander Brad Underwood, the crew loved that man and he loved to fish. They only have a couple of big runs in them but they will spool ya trying to get back to the bottom! Gotta shoot them before bringing them onboard your skiff or they will literally wreck your boat, that tail will smash fiberglass center consoles or anything else it hits into bits..

81 - 100 of 140 Posts