Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OKay guy's I am having an issue with my motor. When I turn the key the motor just clicks. Every once in a while it will turn over but now it's just clicking when I turn the key. Sounds just like what a starter would do on a car. But nothing is happening on the motor. So before I go out and buy a starter does anyone know what else it could be? Not messed with motors for boat before and just kind of want to get an idea if it might be something else?
Thanks
BB

· Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the battery is fine acutally using two batteries and they are both above 80 percent. Charging the main batter now but I don't think that's the issue. Like I said before don't know much about the motors and don't know how to get past the selenoid and if I did do you just put jumper cables on the other side and give it a whirl? Thanks for the quick responses. Was told by a motor guy that I called that it might be either the starter or the selenoid. So we will see.
Thanks again
BB

· Registered
1,463 Posts
Well the battery is fine actually using two batteries and they are both above 80 percent. Charging the main batter now but I don't think that's the issue. Like I said before don't know much about the motors and don't know how to get past the selenoid and if I did do you just put jumper cables on the other side and give it a whirl? Thanks for the quick responses. Was told by a motor guy that I called that it might be either the starter or the selenoid. So we will see.
Thanks again
BB
No, there are two big wires connected to the solenoid, just short between them and you bypass the solenoid.

What's the battery voltage? Voltage at the starter, etc. I had a battery take a dump last week and leave me sitting there with a truck that wouldn't start at the boat ramp. The trolling battery wouldn't turn it over, only the outboard starting bat and it wasn't too energetic. It was going click-click nothing also. Yours might be different but it doesn't have to be the starter by any means.

· Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well did everything and had a friend that came over and checked it out. He know's motors and said it was the starter. I bypassed the selenoid and it wouldn't turn over. So looking for a Starter for a 96' 90 Hp Johnson.... Anyone know of a place to order one????
Thanks for all the help guy's.
BB

· Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well got my new starter in the mail Wed. Went and put it in last night took about 20 min. I like how they have everything set up so that the part you need to take out is behind three other parts you have to take out first... :) I had already taken the old starter out so that's why it didn't take me that long. But said a pray and turned the key and she fired right up... Man she runs so so so much better with that new starter. Before I would have to turn the key four or five times to get it to start and last night one turn.. :) Thanks for all the help guy's and things to look for..
BB

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.