need a new rod

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by brew, Oct 7, 2005.

1. brew

brew New Member

Guys, I was hoping you could suggest something here, I broke my biggest pole last night and need a new one for the fall. It was an old hand me down and I've never bought anything other than ultralights my entire life. I need something no bigger than 7 ft (has to fit in the car) and I like a stout rod with a very flexable end. I plan on using it for cats, walleyes and pike. Not looking to break the bank here, but not looking for a walmart special either. I would apreciate if you could recomened a few that I could check out this weekend. Thanks

2. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Gator's Custom Rod's are by far and above the BEST.

However, if you are not wanting to spend that much, the rod that I have my eyes on is an Ugly Stick catfish rod.

3. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    i just bought a catmaxx from bass pro. I pretty happy with that. not really expensive but will handle anything i will catch with it.

4. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I definitely like my Shakespeare Ugly Stick Catfish series rods. I like the one piece 7ft MH. Got 4 of em. Works great and you can pick em up at Wally World for $29.

5. bottom_rig

bottom_rig New Member

State:
    baltimore, md
    Shakespeare Ugly Stick Catfish series rods is what i use also and it hasnt failed me yet...and the price was good too.

6. Abu

Abu New Member

State:
    Hemlock,Ohio
    Brew... I am assuming the cats you are going to use the rod for is channel cats along with pike and walleye since you posted in the channel cat forum. First choice would be a custom rod from Gator but it sounds like you need a rod fast. According to what you want to spend, my first choice for an off the rack rod would be a St. Croix Premier rod for less than $100. My wallet usually tells me what choices I have. I have several of the $27.99 Shakespeare Ugly Cat rods from WalMart and they would do just fine for channels, pike and walleye. BP Catmaxx rods are great for big flats and blues but I wouldn't want to cast it all day at walleye and it would not be very sensitive for feeling light bites. The Catmaxx is a nice, heavy, stout, Eglass, cork handled rod with 9 guides on the 7 footer. Abu

7. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I use tsunami rods and uglysticks, but instead of buying uglystick catfish rods I buy uglystick offshore rods in the 8' range. If you live by the coast they stock it more towards ocean fishing. Their are lots of choices out there, just go to the store and feel the rods out. Thats really the only way to do it, I dont think I could order a rod before I actually held it in my hand.

8. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    You probably can't fit a one piece 7' rod in your car, can you? If you can't, Wally world has a 7' 2piece berkly big game for like $20. I've caught some fish on them up to 11lbs. and it handled really nice. If you want a little more power. Shop on catfish connection. I think they have some 2 piece ugly stik catfish rods on the site. They have a pretty good selection of rods on the site, so look around.

9. brew

brew New Member

thanks guys, I'm gonna go shop around tomorrowand check those out , I need it fairly soon.

10. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Most of my rods are ugly sticks. They have not let me down. try one :D

11. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    7'-0" Ugly Stik from Wal-Mart for $27 for the one piece baitcasting rod, and $29 for the two piece spinning rod.

Great rods.

12. FARM CAT

FARM CAT New Member

State:
    Valley City, Ohio
    I agree with going with the Ugly Stick Catfish series. I have six of them...

And I head to WalMart daily thinking about number 7. ;)

You can't beat the price and the warranty.

13. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Them 19 dollar berkely big game rods from Wal-Mart are good.

14. bamaboy24

bamaboy24 New Member

State:
    Huntsville,Al
    i would definitely suggest the shakespeare ugly stick it very strong,flexible, and meets all the requirments you need.

15. bamaboy24

bamaboy24 New Member

State:
    Huntsville,Al
    i would suggest the shakespeare ugly stick it meets all the requirments you need. And you can always trust shakespeare.

16. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    best one i can recommend is ugly stick catfish series, one piece. they will never, ever, ever, ever, ever break.

17. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Brew, give the 7 foot ugly stick a try. The uglies perform well for me. :D

18. yadkinangler

yadkinangler New Member

I was checking those combos out at Wal-mart last night. I am used to shorter, lighter tackle. It felt as if it would be awkward to cast using them compared to the shorter rods. Do you have to cast them differently or just get used to them?

19. brew

brew New Member

well I went with the majority and got the 7 ft ugly stick, they didn't have any single peice rods I liked so I got the take down ugly, cuaght two striper hybrid with it, not bad gear for the money, less than 30 bucks at walmart

20. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    The majority gave good info. Ugly sticks are good rods.