Need a new rod for my Abu

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by mhbomber, Jul 12, 2008.

1. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    I decided to purchase an Abu Garcia 6500 C3. I do a lot of my fishing in a river with decent current. I usually use lead between 2-5 oz. Any ideas on which rod can handle this sized lead and still bring in cats 20+ pounds??

Thanks!

2. Harleycat

Harleycat Member

State:
    INDIANA
    how much money do u want to spend.

3. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    hopefully under $50 if there is anything of good quality. If needed I could spend a little more.

4. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    spend $80 on a catfish Safari rod, for an 6500 I'd get one of the lake Rods. This would be money well spent!

5. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Personally, I would go with an Ugly Stik. I know,we should all try to promote the sponsors,but for the price,they can't be beat. For the price of one catfish safari,you can buy at least 2 Ugly Stiks. As for strength,I have never broken one. I have reeled in fish from 1 pound to 60 on my rods,and they have yet to fail me.

6. Harleycat

Harleycat Member

State:
    INDIANA
    theres alot of good rods out there for 50.00 or less.catfish connection has alot of rods to choose from.good luck

7. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Check out catfish connection

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    for under 50 ugly stick catfish, nite stick, 9'king kat, or splurge and get a catfish safari

9. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Ive got a 6500 on a 7' ugly stick and I love the combo,,never broke one and they are great values, about 30$ at wallyworld,,,:wink:

10. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Get you a Heavy Action Daiwa Beef Stick. Not sure what the normal price is but I get them for $15 a piece. Mine are 7' Heavy action 1 piece and will handle anything that swims in the river. I have the Abu Garcia 6500 c3's on them with power handles which I also get for a lot less than anybody else sells them for at $10 each and have them spooled right now with 30# Big Game but am getting ready to put 40# line on them. I have 2 and my Buddy has 2 and his nephew has a couple. I like them better than any ugly stick and I don't think ANY custom rod would compare. They cast great and are almost indestructible!!!!!
    Trust me, they will get the job done and I think the normal price is approx. $20 each. You could get 4 of them for the price of a custom rod and be a lot happier with them than with an over priced custom rod.:wink: