Need a new reel.

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by mitchell, Feb 1, 2006.

1. mitchell

mitchell New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I want to get my son a new reel this year. In the past he has had a Zebco but would like to get him a spincast or a spinning reel. He is 8 yrs. old and pretty good at casting a close faced reel. We primarly fish for channel cats. What advice do you have for me?

2. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    If you are wanting to go with spinning reels I used to use daiwa reels alot when I was ba$$ fishing, Also quantum makes good spinning reels. I would use a small baitcasting reel personally. Maybe a small abu ?

3. Matt Smith

Matt Smith New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Abu 7000

Just kidding. I'd go for the Zebco 33 Platinum. It's all metal and is a timeless design. He'll remember you buying it for him long after the reel is relinquished to the corner of the garage.

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I would let him try different reels if I could.If you like Zebco,they make closed and open face spinning reels.If you decide to go up,with the type he allready knows and can handle,there is Zebco,s 808 and 888.they accept 125 yds.of 25 lb.line.I have 2 in use that are well over 25 years old,and still working well.Clean and lube is all I have done to them.Also,check out Johnson Maxxum reel..Our sponsor"Catfish Connection" carries a large selection of reels and the info.on each.I do have some advice that has saved me many a outfit with children.Play safe,tie it off with a cord.Heavy line and a big fish,will make it alot harder to hold on to.To lose his outfit,along with a big fish will break his heart.peewee-williams

5. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

You can't go wrong buying a Zebco for an 8yo.

Ray

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    zebco 33 for an 8 year old.

7. nhra22

nhra22 New Member

Get him one of the saltwater Zebcos... the beefier ones.. it's only a few dollars more..

8. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Go with the old standby Zebco 33!